Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone needs prescription food like I do for my Mu and your vet won't give you a prescription to get it somewhere else I found that PetFlow.com will ship to you, no prescription required. They were much cheaper for the 17lb bag that I get and ship free for orders over $59. If under $59 it is $4.95 flat rate. I ordered on Thursday and they delivered via FedEx on Saturday. You set up an automatic delivery schedule which can be changed at any time.

:catmilk

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't see a possible scenario where a pet actually needs prescription food and a vet wouldn't give a script for it.

Even if I'm wrong and you are in that very scenario, I would be wary of that website, for you cat's good. You wouldn't buy your own prescriptions online from a place that doesn't require a script would you?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I forgot to add...

I know we sound harsh (this is a harsh forum sometimes) and we know you are really trying to post a helpful tip to other cat owners but that place really does sound shady.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
There is no legal requirement for a prescription to be written for "prescription food". It is a scam between the manufacturers and the vets to hold the consumer hostage. Many vets will make it very inconvenient for their patients to get prescription food from anyone but them...example would be writing the script for only one bag at a time and making you stop there to pick up the prescription rather than mail or fax it. By the time you jump through the hoops it's not worth it to save a few bucks.

If Science Diet, Royal Canin, Purina etc get wind that this site is selling without prescriptions they will likely pull the food.

That said, many prescription foods should not be fed to healthy cats and this site is setting themselves up for a law suit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to mention that your pet really should see a vet, rather than an owner guessing at a diagnoses that requires prescription food.

I have just about $10,000 in vet bills with her in the past year so she has seen vets many times. It was finally a Nutritionist from University of Pennsylvania that suggested putting her on a Hydrolized diet since she cannot digest complex proteins. Since then she has started to gain weight. I never said that I was guessing at what type of food she needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a scam between the manufacturers and the vets to hold the consumer hostage. Many vets will make it very inconvenient for their patients to get prescription food from anyone but them.

When I had asked for a prescription I was told he did not have a prescription pad. Very true about being held hostage. The bag is exactly what I have purchased in the past and the expiration date is into 2013.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.