Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aw, I love my little boy Jack (2 years and neutured) but he is a little confusing at times. He has plenty of do all day. (being unemployeed that I am) we now have enough time to play with feather-teaser toys for an hour in the morning. He has an older cat to play with (Tyger 5 years) and 4 ferrets (varying ages). We live in an apartment but he is welcome to stare out the windows at the birds and people.

My question is now: Why does he chew on every bit of plastic he can find?

The ferret's tunnel
Knocking over the garbage can for the trash liner
Shopping bags
My purse
The plastic part on envelopes that come in the mail
etc....

There doesn't have to be anything in the plastic bags! I notice they are covered in teeth marks. Needless to say I try to keep all plastic away from him but he goes on a chomping rampage when I'm putting up groceries. Any advice?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
...just try to keep things that could be dangerous away from him. Someone here has a cat who lick-lick-LICKS plastic bags. My cats love the rustle-y sound they make when they move. Another LOVES to play with milk-jug rings, but I had one cat who would chew small pieces off of them and make me *very* worried from swallowing them, though he never had a problem. I also had another cat who would "floss" his teeth on yarn-knitted/crocheted blankets. He wouldn't gnaw or chew, he would slowly just squeeze his teeth through the fibers until his teeth squeeked clean.
Maybe your kitty needs some chew-type toys?
Cats are weird and sometimes we just can't figure them out. The best we can do is keep them safe from themselves.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Someone here told me that a lot of plastic, especially grocery bags, are made with something from fish used in the processing. Cali is my plastic licker and the sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I actually put the twins in their bedroom when I'm bringing groceries in the house. I let them out when I'm done putting the groceries away and the bags are out of sight.

Smart little kitties - they run into their bedroom when I bring the first bags in, because I give them some kibble as a bribe. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts