Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted a cat for some time now but im really unsure on what type to get.

My dad is quite a bird enthusiast and has all kinds of feeders placed in the backyard and i dont think he'd like a cat to scare them all the death.

The question is, is there a breed of cat that isnt really interested in hunting for birds?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I'm not sure personally.
The best thing to do if you have a lot of wildlife around is have your cat as an indoor cat. Much safer for the wildlife and much safer for your cat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only ever had one cat that would not harm birds and she was half Siamese. But I don't think it depends on the breed so much as on the individual cat. :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
My cats are Siamese and enjoy watching the birds out the window. I agree that the birds and your cat will have a longer life if kitty stays indoors. An outside cat often lives only a few years. A healthy indoor cat lives 16 years or more. My record is 16 years, but I think the record age is over 20 years!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Your cat by no means needs to go outside -- so there is your safest bet. :) Safest for you, the birds, and your cat. Cats are perfectly happy indoors if they have toys, love, and windows. And like Jeanne said, outdoor cats live only 3-5 years on average, because of all the dangers. Cars, predators, other cats, diseases, cruel people, and all the things your cat might eat while it's outside. Please consider this. You have a forum full of people here with indoor cats who are happy, loving, and playful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts