Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have an approximately 7-8 month old kitten, Samson who got sick a few days after we got him and ended up at the vet's for almost two weeks (panleuk & calicivirus). He had a feeding tube in for over a month and a less than 30% chance of making it. Thankfully, he made it, started to eat like a glutton and hasn't looked back (he's now playful, a healthy weight, and a lover boy who sleeps with us every night).

Unfortunately, he still has residual sneezing and wheezing (our vet is aware of this) and his eye is a little runny. We give him lysine 2x/day to try to cut back on the virus. I recently read up on the dangers of clumping cat litter with bentonite for both kittens and dogs (our dog cleans the "tootsie rolls" from the cat box despite our attempts to discourage her). I saw that it mentions breathing problems for kittens, caused by both the dust and bentonite. I'm wondering if this could contribute to his breathing problems/the fact he hasn't yet completely kicked the URI. Any thoughts or experience with this?

I'll be stopping by Petco on my way home from work. Which cat litter alternatives do you recommend- Swheat, pine litter or other? We do have an adult cat as well who's used Fresh Step all his life, so I'd have to transition them over.. Thank yoU!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The link above also mentions depressed immune systems caused by the sodium bentonite, another reason I'm suspecting he hasn't completely kicked the wheezing/URI.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I started using World's Best but it's clumping. It's a corn litter. I don't think they have non-clumping litters. If you do eventually use clumping, I would recommend this.

I've seen something called Feline Pine in Walmart before. There's a coupon on their website if you decide to try it. I was considering this but opted for the corn litter.

Purina also makes a newspaper litter called Yesterday's News. It's actually for small animals now I think but it's the same thing. They had 2 names and they got rid of 1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts