Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how much is considered normal. It is hard for me to tell now that I have two cats, how much water should be missing from the bowl and how many pee clumps should be in the litterbox. I recently have gone all clumping litter (of Swheat) so it should be easier for me to monitor the amount of peeing they do. It seems like they are drinking and peeing a little more since they went to the vet two days ago.
So...how many good sized pee clumps per day should you be seeing in the litterbox?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
water intake

Since the kitties were given steroid shots, it is an expected side effect of the drug that they will drink and pee more. They may also be hungrier. I don't know what kind of steroid they were given; some wear off in about 3 days, others last for 4-6 weeks.

Typically, cats will pee 2-3 times a day. A ballpark estimate of normal water intake is up to 100 ml per pound (a little over 3 oz), and normal urine excretion is up to 50 ml per pound.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were given Cortisone...past that I don't know. They are probably peeing between 3-4 times per day right now. They seem a little less hungry than normal.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I see my cats drinking quite frequently all day, and they seem to pee about 2-4 times a day as far as I'm aware of. Seems like DrJean is right on the money! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts