Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my 11 yo male cat had a tooth extracted a week ago. The next night I took him into ER for facial swelling and a UTI. He was prescribed Clavamox and Prazosin.

He seems to be recovering, but he won’t drink. I’m putting water on his wet food. He doesn’t seem dehydrated, but I want him to drink on his own. He’s also been a zombie since this procedure (or the medication?). I want my kitty back. Does anyone have any advice? He’s never been a big drinker but he did drink on his own. My anxiety is becoming overwhelming.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Adding water to his food is a good way to keep him hydrated, and you can judge how well by how much he pees, if you are using clumping litter. I imagine the extraction took quite a bit out of him, as well as a second visit to the vet. In a few days he should be feeling better but if hasn't improved in a week would definitely contact the vet. Hope he comes around soon. All the best!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
If your kitty will let you hold him you may want to try a syringe of water. Just dispense it very slowly near the back of his cheek not down his throat a few drops at a time. This is how I give my girl her MiraLAX mixed with water. I also give her just extra water only, sometimes. I think she enjoys it. She never runs away.

Larry

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can try adding tuna juice to the water to make it 'smellly' to attract him.
With meds it takes time, give him time they have sensitive systems.
~All the Best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts