Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booth got neutered today so he's kinda out of it.
My one concern is that since I brought him home at 5ish this evening, he hasn't eaten or drunk anything. I'm not so worried about the eating part, but the drinking bit concerns me a little bit...
He's kind of gaunt looking too, I guess I never realized how much food and water plumps them up!
But anyway, when should I get really worried about this? I know he's probably in pain and that's why he's acting like this, but I don't want him to seriously dehydrate himself too!

I'm not sure if he got any sort of pain meds at all since he woke up from surgery. I considered getting pain meds for him (I hadn't planned on it) after I saw how he was acting at the vet, but they wanted $40 extra for the meds and I just wasn't prepared to pay that. I know sometimes they give them something when they wake up and I don't know if they gave Booth anything... :patback

Anyway, the drinking thing! Help?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Often, cats can feel a bit ill from the anesthesia so that might be the problem with your kitty. If you have a syringe or water dropper, you can try giving him a little water that way. A soaked paper towel will work also, just slowly drip it on his gums. Only give him a little, because if the anesthesia made him nauseated you don't want to make it worse.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
As long as he's sufficiently aware of his surroundings, I wouldn't worry about food or water tonight. He won't seriously dehydrate in one day. See how he's acting in the morning and then decide on a course of action.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this morning he's acting totally fine! Thank goodness. He's still not to keen on being picked up (obviously) but he basically went all vacuum cleaner on his food and water. Silly guy. I woke up in the night to him prancing around my bed like it was play time. :p However, even though it was play time, he didn't jump off the bed or jump on to it, he used the little stool I got out for him. Poor guy!

The vet people basically fell in love with hm yesterday. They thought he was so sweet and good, therefore they didn't want him to go home. Little did they know that he's mostly sweet, but that there's a reason why my brother and I affectionately refer to him as "the panther". :p

Thanks for your reassurances guys. It made me feel a lot better last night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts