Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're officially crazy cat ladies! We stopped by the shelter yesterday "just too look." And then we fell in love :D I wanted the timid beautiful little girl and she wanted the clumsy, playful little boy. It was two for the price of one...and thus our kitty family doubled in a matter of minutes. Actually we were there for 3 hours. We already have our two and four just seem too overwhelming. But we couldn't decide on just one and couldn't stand to leave the other behind. We talked about it and I begged...she finally caved!!!
Here they are!!

Isn't she beautiful!!! But I can't think of a name. Any suggestions? She's very shy and skittish. She's playful but if you make any sudden moves she darts under the closest piece of furniture. She's not very trusting yet but loves to be petted if you can convince her to sit with you long enough. The lady at the shelter said she has Siamese in her but they'll say anything to get you to adopt. But she does talk a lot already...any thoughts on what she might have in her?

Here's the little boy that we named Bozo before we even agreed to adopt him.

His feet seem way too big for his little body and he bounces around like a rabbit! He's so funny to watch and he's so clumsy. His coat is really neat and he has spots on this belly. He loves to play and is cuddlier than the little girl, but he still is a little skittish too.
They both seem like they don't know whether or not to trust us. I don’t' think they're so sure of people yet. Actually, after seeing how many people (and small children) were in and out of the kitten room at the shelter, they are probably sick of people.
We made them their own special area in the bathroom and they seem quite content. We're taking turns letting them and the resident kitties have free run of the house. Surfboard and Zoë love our back porch so it's not like they're being punished by being out there while the kittens roam around. We've already introduced them, kinda...they've seen each other from afar. Zoë doesn't know what to think and peaks out from around the corner to watch the kittens. Surfboard on the other hand is another story :? He's very upset. He's hissing and growling, even at Zoë. What exactly are you supposed to do with the vanilla? I put a drop on each one's neck last night...now they just have a sticky spot! Is that all you do or is there some other way to apply it? I'm sure Surfboard will come around in time. He was like this with Zoë for the first few days and now they're madly in love with each other.
I'll keep everyone posted. Any advice for helping the skittish little girl begin to trust us? Could she have been abused or is this part of normal adjusting? I just don't remember Zoë or Surfboard being afraid of us.

I'm so excited!! I saved some little lives and my heart doesn't hurt anymore over losing Zoë’s litter. And I got the papers to fill out to start volunteering at the shelter. They don't do adoption drives outside of the shelter at locations around town. Since "events" are my specialty, I'm going to try and get a program like that started.

Check out my album for lots more pics!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Bozo is soo cute (well the girl is cute too).

Names... hmmm... I really suck at name, but she's cute enough to eat so I'd call her chocolate muffin. :D

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I can't offer any help, I only have one cat (my first) and haven't dealt much with kittens.

Just wanted to say how beautiful they are! I love her eyes :)

I'm also really bad with names. I think it would be cute to name her something that starts with B since you've already got Bozo. I like the name Bindy, but that's just me :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bozo won't stop meowing :? He's walking all over the house meowing and meowing. I pick him up but he doesn't want to be petted. I showed him his food again. I showed him his litter box again. Could he be missing his siblings that were at the shelter with him? They were just brought in on Sunday and he was the first to be adopted. He likes the little girl kitty fine and they play together but don't seem to be lovely with each other.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Okay, some names for the girl:

Abby
Isabelle, Belle, or Bella
Aphrodite
Kali (or spelled differently: Kally, Callie, Cali, etc.)
Melissa
Jasmine
Serena

They're both so beautiful!! Four cats isn't too many - that's how many I have and I think it's the perfect number. :D

edit: Sorry I can't be of much help with your questions... the only kittens I've ever had are feral, so I don't have any experience with "normal" kittens

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
They are so cute! I can see why you couln't choose!!

We just got a kittena week ago today so i am right with you here in the intro process! We seem to be doing ok.

Teagan also seems to be adjusting ok, and it's crying to much. The only time she has cried is when she had to go to the bathroom. And then she found her litter and went.

Have you tried a different brand of food for him? What did they use at the shelter? Also same thing with the litter.

Were they strays? He might want to be outside.

I think with your little girl it is just going to take time.. Teagan Jumped at EVERY little noise or movement when she first got home.. Now she is getting used to them and jumping/hiding less and less everyday!

Good Luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bozo just wanted to be played with earlier! I started playing with one of the wands and he was as happy as could be. I think we have another "needy" kitty on our hands :) Both kitties are eating, drinking, and using their litter box like wonderful little angels. Should I go ahead and start them on canned kitten food or wait a little while and let their tummies adjust to the dry kibble?
For the little girl we have decided on Rice. Last night we had stir fry over rice and I dropped a few piece of rice on the floor and she came running from across the room and gobbled it up. I thought it was funny that she liked it so I put more down for her and it was gone in 2 seconds. Then she started begging for more!!! Mind you, this is the timid cat that dashed for cover with the slightest movement in the room. She wasn't shy about wanting more rice though. It just hit me as I scrolled through "r" names on the cat name website...Rice! I think it's perfect for her and now feel like she's really mine :D
Well now we've changed Bozo's name! Katie has always liked the name "Bengal." We were just sitting looking at his markings and he looks like he has Bengal in him. He's still a goofball though, hence the name Bozo. So we've combined the two names--Bengo
Are his markings like a Bengal's??

Surfboard is doing much better. We're all having "family play time" in the living room and they were about 2 feet apart. He hissed some but then just sat back a watched Bengo play. Zoë sat right beside Bengo without any reaction. I think her feelings are hurt that Surfboard is being mean to her and hissing at her too...they're such good friends and now they aren't bathing each other or napping together all cuddled up. I'm sure everyone will adjust with time. Rice is napping in the corner. She played hard all afternoon so she's tuckered out. She's still a little skittish but is slowly coming around. She sticks her nose up in the air when Surfboard hisses are her! What a TUDE!
I feel like my family is complete :D I'm so happy!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
That is amazing - I am happy for you and the kitties
I really like the name Marbles for the girl ..it is more feminine and sounds warm like you are describing her personality. She reminds me of one of my feral/foster babies ..and guess what her name was ? Marbles. Here is her picture - she has found a great home by the way

About your babies - they may have not had enough time to socialize with humans so they are timid around us. Give it time ...they will learn to trust you and love you dearly. They are still very young so it won't take very long, I can assure you.

As far as the introduction goes - I am glad you have already put the drop of vanilla on the back of their necks. Your upset kitty is unhappy and feels like his space is invaded. You have to compensate that with play therapy between him and your other kitty. Then later, do the same when you will introduce the new kitties to your first 2 babies. Give them all treats and lots of love and attention when they are all gathered together so they can learn to associate those happy times with that "togetherness"
Have you read Dr Jean's suggestions on how to introduce the kitties ..if not here is the link just to be sure
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions
It is going to be extremely helpful!
Let us know how everything goes and post more pictures

·
Registered
465 Posts
Rice is a cute name! I'm glad that the kitties are getting along a bit better.

The markings on his stomach are a lot like a Bengal's. I love Bengals!!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
adavis333 said:

The lady at the shelter said she has Siamese in her but they'll say anything to get you to adopt. But she does talk a lot already...any thoughts on what she might have in her?
She does look like she has some siamese somewhere in her lineage. I see some very faint points on her nose, ear, and her right front paw. They could possibly become more prevalent as she gets older. And of course being talkative is a siamese trait, but there are plenty of talkative cats without any siamese in their blood.

Congratulations on two super cute additions.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh my goodness, they are SOOOOOO CUTE 8O Congratulations!!!!!!!!! I am IN LOVE with Bozo. His coat is beautiful. I am so glad you guys did this, and that you are feeling better about Zoe's litter :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
She's beautiful! I would have fallen in love! She looks like a bowl of fudge ripple ice cream, makes me wanna just nibble on her ears!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Each cat has her own personality, but part of the little lady's skittishness might be due to not being socialized properly, as Ioana suggested. When you described her behavior, I thought you might call her Lady, because she sounds dignified and just a wee bit stand-offish! Then, if she gets in trouble, you can say, "Now look here, young Lady!" She will probably inspire her name by her actions. Congratulations on having a full house! (and you don't even play poker!) :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't play poker anymore...no one will play with me cause I'm too good! :wink:

My babies are all doing great. They all ate together tonight. We're making very sure to associate food with "together" time so hopefully they'll bond sooner. Zoe doesn't know what to think and Surfboard lets out a growl every once in a while.

I love all of the names you suggested...Lily...Lady...but I'm stuck on Rice. I ate the stir fry leftovers tonight and she was in my plate before I knew what was happening! Zoë and Surf have never been "table fed" so they don't even beg. They pay us no attention at all when we have food so she caught me off guard. Now I'm trying how to fit all the names into one...Lady Rice....Rice Lily...Lady Rice Lily...lol I think I'm going overboard. Lily suits her looks and Lady is perfect for her personality. We'll have to see how it evolves. I was calling her Ricey tonight. Who knows what it will end up as!
I'm sure her skittishness does have to do with not being properly socialized. While we were at the shelter several different kids were in and out and were tormenting the poor babies. I finally told them to stop picking up the kittens because they were driving me insane. I love kids, don't get me wrong. But there is a "no unattended children" sign for a reason. I'm sure she is just afraid from that and all of the other nerve racking situations that I'm sure she's experienced in her short little life. She was much better already tonight. Sudden movements didn't scare her and she seemed more outgoing. I just think she feels as though she's better than the rest of us! I can't describe her attitude or behavior but that is totally the impression that I get from her. Originally I was trying to find a name that would fit her shyness and her prissiness. And somehow I ended up with “Rice.” I think I’m going to have to go with a combo of some sort.
Bengo is his same goofy self. His feet are so funny and big! When he gets ready to swat at something he raises a paw really high in the air and far out away from his body and just holds it in midair for like 10 seconds before he’ll finally attack. I’ll try to get a pic so you can see how silly he looks doing it. He and Rice get along well and play but aren’t real lovey with each other like Zoë and Surfboard are. Maybe they just won’t be as close or still need some adjusting time.
So that’s the update for today. I’ve posted new pics of them to my album. They’re just so darn cute I can’t put my camera down!
Here are my favorites from today...
She found her toes and tail today! She hasn't stopped playing with them since.

Isn't his bed cute! I made it :wink: He better like it!!!

P.S. I invented a new toy today...check out my thread about it!!! My babies inspired me :)[

·
Registered
465 Posts
Aww, Bengo looks so cute in his new bed!

It's adorable that Rice plays with her tail - I miss the days when Clover would do that. It's great that she's doing better - she's still young, so I'm sure you'll have lots of luck with re-socializing her :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
:)

I love the bed with the little toy! It's so colorful and looks very comfy :)

Of course the kitty is cute too, but that goes without saying :)

-Heather :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Adavis, did you not set a place at the table with your finest crystal for her Ladyship's stir fry? No wonder she ate from your plate! I can hear her thoughts now....."What's wrong with these people? The next thing you know they'll expect me to eat on the floor! :roll: I think I'll just go play with that long wagging thing that follows me around! Humph, peons! "

They're both sweet, and the bed is darling, but her Ladyship will have to have a pink satin bedspread and pillow, you know. As for poker, I can't even win at Blackjack for pennies. (and we give back the pennies!) Big spender!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts