Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cats love baby food! If you get a meat type, like chicken or something, they will come RUNNING from any part of the house as soon as they learn what that pop of the safety seal means. It's really cute, and a great way to lure them to you if they're shy. It's also not bad for them; it's actually pretty healthy. Mine love it, but they only get it every once in a while, otherwise it wouldn't be special. :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes, Kitkat, those kind :) Cats LOVE it! My veterinarian uses it to get sick cats that won't eat to eat!! I have seen a CRF cat that was going to have to be put on a feeding tube even agree to eat Gerbers baby food!!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
So I am assuming this is ok to feed them every once in awhile? If it is, I will try it later on this week when I go to the grocery store. :lol:

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I read an article in Cat Fancy about a man who helped tame a wild cat with baby food, so I figured try giving it to my cats to eat. I got chicken flavored and they LOVED it - licked it off the spoon. One threw up after, though...I need to try it again and see if that's what made her throw up or if it's a coincidence.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep! Baby food..beef or chicken flavor is recomended. Get the blandest possible. I'm going to try that with Madam who's 5 yrs old but seemingly has never eaten anything other than dry food..she loves my handcream but don't think that's good for her :wink:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good idea, every once in a while. But I'm of the opinion that even babies don't need canned baby food, so I'm not Gerber's biggest fan :oops: :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Doesn't have to be Gerbers baby food; something creamy that the kitty would like_ I guess it reminded Madam of Lax-air because after licking off my finger she licks the top of her paw like when we put LA on it..I guess she would ingest more hair that way..oh-well :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
baby food isnt that bad - just be careful - some of them add onion, garlic, etc to the food - and THAt can be bad for cats!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Agree with Kim....read the label....plus as a snack/treat its probably ok but i wouldnt think its nutritionally balanced for kitties. Let one of the expert chime in here.....on a side note when one of my kittens was having diarrhea/bloody stool problems I put him on a baby food diet. Its was Gerbers chicken with gravy and chicken with rice. Both with no additional spices. Very easy to digest and really helped with the problem

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am not an expert, but I can tell you that Gerber baby food has only finely ground meat (chicken, beef), water and corn starch.
Many kitties get it at shows after the rings. Even the finickiest eater will take interest. You can sometimes even buy Gerber baby food at shows.

Actually, a few years ago Gerber changed their recipe and put onion powder in it. So many people complained (probably cat people) that Gerber actually went back to their original recipe.

I agree that it should only be given occasionally, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts