Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fair amount of behavioral knowledge with dogs, but this makes no sense to me.
Environment:
2 bonded spayed/ neutered cats 10 years old each, male and female they were once feral. They both reside mainly in our dining room and basement, gated off, cat door to the basement. Cat stands, kitty liter boxes in several areas of our home. They have the run of the house.
1 Female spayed cat 7 years old, she socializes with all, but mainly stays upstairs in our bedroom, her palace and she holds court here..lol
1 Male Rottweiler, 2 years old, he if fine with the cats and they are comfortable around him.
1 Female boxer 7 years old, cats are fine with her and they will sometimes sit next to her. (Dogs do not have access to the dining room where their food and lounge area is)
1 new 2 year old female rescue, she is spayed and super sweet.

So 2 dogs and 4 cats, the last cat being the new addition.

I started to socialize the new cat, slowly using crates for all animals and when I thought this might be working I dropped my guard and missed a reading of my male cat. He went to quickly attack the new female as I was taking her out of the crate, my male cat jumped up from the ground and sunk his to front fangs into my stomach... not a pleasant experience.
After I got her out he viscously attached his 10 year old bonded female partner. He chased her down the basement and took a few more runs at her. She is fine and does not want to see his face.

The interesting part, the new younger female cat was vigorously trying to get out of my arms to the male cat, as I brought her upstairs to safety she was doing anything she could to get down stairs to where the action was, She was not fighting, clawing biting, she was just running and really trying to get to the male cat.

Part 2. I have taken the two bonded cats and the new cat to my office and separated them into two rooms each with their own see through crate. The bonded female and the new female are fine. The bonded female will hiss at the new female to let her know she is too close and or does not want her company. When I remove the bonded female from the room, bring in the bonded male to see the new female he is on guard, the new female is comfortable and walks around. As soon as I go to pet the new female the male goes to attack her. Here is what is cant figure out and need some guidance on. The male cat came in to clearly attack the new female, I sprayed him with a squirt gun to stop him and it worked, but the new female seeks him out quickly and does what ever she can to get next to him, but she does not attack nor hiss at him. I act fairly quickly and have been able to separate them before anyone get bit.

Why is she seeking him out after he try's to attack her? She is half his size and I am concerned for her safety. She runs right for the source of danger instead of seeking shelter.

Puzzling very puzzling

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Yes, it doesn't make sense! The only thing I can think of is that before you rescued her, she had a male cat friend she was very close to maybe even same color, and she's hoping that your boy is going to be her friend. Since petting her, triggers him to attack, try going to him first and and petting him and give him a treat and ignore your new female and see if that makes a difference. Maybe sneak her a treat if male doesn't see you do it. Another reason is he's just got a "hate-on" for her from first sight and doesn't want her around; some cats are like that.:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts