Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thyroid surgery on Monday. Up until yesterday I was at my parent's house. I had to have a drain in, and I knew Vala would never leave the tubing alone, so my brother came over and took care of her while I recuperated elsewhere.

So now I'm home. The problem is, I still have bandages and stitches that she doesn't want to leave alone. She's a chin snuggler, she likes to sleep right up under my chin, but that puts her right where my wounds are. We tried it once, but she immediately tried to chew on the bandaid, so I had to kick her off. She doesn't really understand the concept of a lap yet. It's either chin snuggling or nothing.

And then last night, she kept trying to get at it while I was sleeping. I kept pulling the covers up past the stitches so they were covered, and she seemed to think it was a new game and made it her mission to infiltrate the offending blankets. I'm in a studio apartment, so no actual bedroom that I can just shut her out of. At one point I tried to kick her out of bed. She dug her claws into my shoulder to stay on, so I now have a perfect half circle of kitty claw marks to go with everything else.

I love her dearly, and I don't want her to think I'm mad at her, but until I heal up a bit more I can't really let her snuggle like we're used to. I don't know what I should do.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Could Vala go to your brother's or parent's place while you heal completely, say for a couple of weeks, or until you have the bandages removed?

The only other thing would be to set her up in the bathroom during the night so she didn't bug you. You definitely don't want her messing about with the tubing with getting licked or claws, as it may get infected.

Cats definitely know when you're sick or have had surgery, and they do try to "help" either by being closer to you all the time more than normal, or even proactive like you're kitty is in trying to remove the bandage. All the best for a speedy recovery. Had tyroid surgery myself many years ago.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Maybe if you rubbed some lemon peel or orange peel on the bandaid (of course being careful not to touch your open wound) it would turn her off the bandage?

·
Registered
763 Posts
So how's it going? Has Vala let up on your tube and bandage? Or did you figure out a solution? My only thought was to crate her, or as someone else suggested, put her in the bathroom over night, though I know it would be hard when she is used to being with you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they took the tube out several days ago, so that wasn't a problem. For the most part it's been OK. I still have to be careful at night. She usually sleeps down by my feet or on my chest, but she'd been much higher, up by my neck or on the pillow next to my head. And she's been very handsy...pawsy...you know what I mean. She pokes at me a lot. I kind of have to sleep with a hand over my neck, lol. But other than that it's been better. It's cold enough in my apt (basement) that I'm usually in a zip up hoody, so if she wants to cuddle while I'm sitting on the couch I just zip it up all the way so she the steri-strips are hidden. And the stitches are coming out tomorrow, so hopefully everything will be even easier after that.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
You could wear a big scarf around your neck at night to protect your neck from paw pokes until the stitches heal up well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Glad you're recovering and you're getting your stitches out today. Kittehs are just like that huh? So curious and intuitive. They just know when you need their presence for some comfort.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could wear a big scarf around your neck at night to protect your neck from paw pokes until the stitches heal up well.
The hand is more there to take the weight if the cat steps on my neck (which she's been known to do...heck, two nights ago I was on my side and she used my nose as a step), so a scarf probably wouldn't do much. Also, as much as I toss and turn, I'd probably strangle myself.

Stitches are out, so we'll see if kitty still wants to poke around now that I don't have any bandages. Obviously the incision is still showing, but I've had some pretty bad scratches before (from her) that she never seems that interested in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts