Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably won't be getting a cat for awhile now, but the idea has been there for some time now. I already have two cats: Wiley is five years old and William is 17 years old. William was recently diagnosed with crf. I changed his diet and he gets fluids, but I know this disease is terminal. It could be months or years before he goes. Who knows. So I am preparing myself now. William is comfortable now and I'll deal with it when it comes. But I'm worried about Wiley. My boyfriend and I work 40 hours a week and I know the kitties keep eachother company. So when William finally goes, I think Wiley will grieve and then need a friend. My dilemma is where to go. I volunteer at a no kill shelter on the weekends and have already fallen for a few cats there. But these cats are well taken care of and can live out there lives there if needed. And I would love to support this shelter because I think they do a wonderful job. But then there are the cats who only have a certain amount of time and I would like to save one of them.

I'm torn between supporting the shelter that I think is doing the right thing with being no kill, but then there are the cats who get caught in the middle and some have to die because no one wants them. I know I have time to think about this and I like to think I will just see someone and fall for that kitty someday and just know they are the right one. But right now these are just my thoughts and wonder what some of you have done or some input into the situation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm sorry about William. I hope he still has many happy months or years with you and Wiley.

Think of it this way. If you adopt a cat from the no-kill shelter, you'll open up a spot for one of the cats caught in the middle, achieving your goal.

The important thing is that you find the right cat for your family. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I adopted my cat, Nito, from the local county shelter. I would have gone for a no-kill shelter for the reason cmw stated, but there isn't one in the area. No matter what you do, you'll be saving a kitty or two- whether you adopt one from the no-kill shelter and open up a spot for another, or adopt one from a shelter that does euthanize, opening up a spot and perhaps giving another kitty more time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts