Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's been a long time since I've posted, sorry :(!!!

But I am the one that has or had 3 cats... now I am up to 4 :?!! I rescued a kitten out of a tree Labor Day weekend...

Anyway... since I have 4 cats now - how do you know which one isn't using the litter box. I've found pee in my laundry basket full of clean clothes no less, pee on dirty clothes in a laundry basket and even on the bathroom floor?

I know some cats can be very sensitive to changes around the house. I have brought in the new kitty, and I recently changed the cat litter. And I clean out the litter boxes every other day and I have 3 of them...

So this is what I am thinking - changing back to the other litter that I had before, and adding one more litter box - and I am thinking having 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs?

All of them are drinking and eating - any more suggestions?

Thanks
Brandi

·
Registered
90 Posts
Technically, you should have as many boxes as you have cats, plus one. Each story of your house should have at least 1 box- with the story that most of the cats times are being spent having more litter boxes than the rest.

One of the cats might be upset because of the new kitten. Probably an older cat or a cat who has jealousy issues (the cat that is very clingy in front of other cats or has an attitude when you pet another cat).

Honestly, my brains are telling me to tell you to get your cats checked out for UTI's, but my gut is telling me one of your older cats are doing it because of the new arrival. I want to say it might be the dominant cat (marking their territory to let the kitten know they were there first).

It might also be the change in the litter. Read that wrong the first time. Go back to the old stuff. Cats do not like change. You have a new kitten AND new litter. That can make out for one stressed out kitty!

Good luck!

--Beth

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Sounds like it might be a UTI. The hardest part, as you mentioned, is narrowing it down to which cat.

The number of litter boxes depends on your cats. Mine are fine with three In fact, they rarely use two of them, I would say 90% goes into the third.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well today after I get back from the barn... I am going to do some major cleaning of the upstairs, I will be switching back to the old litter and I will put at least 2 litter boxes upstairs and I will have 3 down stairs. I have the 3 litter boxes downstairs in the utility room and my living room is pretty big (long and narrow) should I put 2 litter boxes in the utility room, one in the living room and 2 upstairs. Does that sound better...

After all of that I am still seeing that someone is peeing then I will take them to the vet to get them checked for UTI...

Sound like a plan.

How do you know which cat is a more dominant cat... i have one cat the demands attention from my older cat and if she doesn't want to snuggle then my older cat will growl, hiss and slap her away...

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Definitely take the covers off. The one box that barely gets used is covered, but they used to use it all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So they don't like covered litter boxes? I thought cats like to do their jobs in privacy?

Well I'll do some experimenting - I will leave the lids on the boxes downstairs and take the lids off on the ones upstairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if they don't use the cat litter boxes to pee in when they're upset or have a UTI then why isn't I am not finding poo anywhere? Is she using the litter box to poop in? Or is it I just haven't found it yet?

Oh and can I put a cat in a like a bathroom with a litter box while I am at work to determine if she's the cat that's using the box - for each day it would be a different cat. Would that work?

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Sometimes, if it's peeing that's hurting them, they'll poop in the boxes. Cats react differently to UTIs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At the animal shelter I work at we recommend people who adopt cats from us to always provide at least one uncovered box if there's more than one cat. This is done to prevent ambushing. Cats will lay in ambush when they hear another cat doing their business and then when they jump the other kitty gets scared obviously. This will lead to the cat being scared of the box.

A cat with UTI will usually search for a soft spot to pee. Male cats have a very narrow penis and it really hurts them when their urine has sharp crystals in them.

I would try to just eliminate the possible 'culprits'. Have all cats downstairs (or up, whatever you prefer) and if you see a cat pee'ing on the box, you bring it upstairs. Eventually you'll either all see them peeing on the box or you are left with one (or more, but I hope not for you and your cat's sake)cat who doesn't pee on the box. This experiment should not take on more than a day or two or at most three. All cats must have urinated within that timespan.

If you end up singling out a candidate who does not pee; go to a vet immediately!! (URGENTLY)
If you end up singling out a candidate who does not pee on the box, but does pee somewhere else (sheets, blankets, floor, whatever), take action by making an appointment with a vet and talking about the problem. It will be helpful to collect a sample if you can. Once you know which cat has the problem you can have him urinate onto plastic pebbles which do not absorb, so the urine can be examined in a lab.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts