Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting on the forum. 1. I tried PMing the Administrator yesterday & it didn't go thru. I've tried 3 times so far and nothing.2. My posts in the forum won't paragraph [see my latest post from 'The Lounge', as an example].3. The Spell Check icon doesn't work.4. The Smilies don't work. 5. The Bold, Italic and Underline icons don't work for me either.I'm not even sure this post will go thru.HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
26,518 Posts
Have you tried clicking on Go Advanced below? You shouldn't have to, but maybe that would make these things work for you. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marie.I went to your profile a couple minutes ago to send you a PM. I hit the 'Send Message' button and...........nothing again!OK, so I've finished typing this and now I'll hit 'Go Advanced' & see what happens.Oh, oh.......the Go Advanced' button is now missing!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing that does not work for me is the 'Contact Us'. When I tried to send a message it would just keep telling me that I was typing in the wrong letters under the 'Spam Protection' box.Ok, now I'm using the 'Quick Reply' message to my own last post.I just paragraphed this last sentence and I'm now going to hit the 'Go Advanced' button below.Let's see what I get.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing that does not work for me is the 'Contact Us'. When I tried to send a message it would just keep telling me that I was typing in the wrong letters under the 'Spam Protection' box.Ok, now I'm using the 'Quick Reply' message to my own last post.I just paragraphed this last sentence and I'm now going to hit the 'Go Advanced' button below.Let's see what I get.
Uhhh, THIS is what I got.........nothin' but one run-on paragraph [sigh].

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Also run an antivirus scan.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If all else fails, you might try typing your posts in Word, and then do a quick copy/paste into the reply box in the "Go Advanced" mode. Might not work, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
If all else fails, you might try typing your posts in Word, and then do a quick copy/paste into the reply box in the "Go Advanced" mode. Might not work, but worth a shot.
I haven't had any luck with that. It seems transferring the data from Word to a reply-post here does something with the settings and the font and size of the text are wild-n-wacky.
Marie has had to fix things for me, numerous times.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I haven't had any luck with that. It seems transferring the data from Word to a reply-post here does something with the settings and the font and size of the text are wild-n-wacky.
Marie has had to fix things for me, numerous times.
When I have a long post, I often type it in Word first, because I find I get "kicked out" and lose posts if I'm in the Reply box for more than a couple of minutes. I've never had any problems with copy and paste. That said, I always use the equivalent font when I first type in Word (Verdana font size 10)...so, perhaps that explains why I don't have font issues. You might try that. If you already do that and you still have problems, then I'm no help! :)

·
Banned
194 Posts
The description of your problems sounds like your javascript is turned off, or has broken. The features that don't work for you are dependent on javascript for full functionality. If you haven't turned off js intentionally, I think you have a problem with your browser, and I'd suggest trying a different one. If you aren't using Firefox already, that's the one I'd suggest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What browser are you using, and what's the version?
Oh, just the regular Windows Internet Explorer. I'm really embarrassed to say this computer of my sisters uses Windows '98. This 'puter is really ancient and was given to her by our cousin's husband who built it for her. I fear my only real solution is to just go out and buy a new one. Gads, I just hate to spend that kind of money right now. Anyone here familiar with the Asus brand? My independent run store of "computer geek guys" sell that particular brand and they say it's made in the USA.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Win 98? Wow. You will not have to spend much AT ALL, to get something so much better. Oh and that's your reason. It's a browser problem. If it's the same one as you've always had (for the version, click on Help in the menu bar then go to About. I'm guessing it's 5 or 6.

Either way, your machine is probably infested with viruses as Microsoft stopped supporting Win 98 about 7 years ago, so nothing should work with it that can cope with modern viruses and malware.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Anyone here familiar with the Asus brand?
Asus is a well-known and reputable vendor of premium motherboards. I'm not familiar with their full systems, but if that's what it is, I'm sure it's fine. The geeks may just be referring to their store-built system by its motherboard, too, as they often do. But you needn't have any concern about its quality. In general those independents sell systems that are a pretty good step above what you find in the big-box stores.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts