Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flicking through google images when i came across this. I didn't quite realize what I was seeing at first, but then it hit me! OMG! That is one BIG cat!!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What's interesting is that I read somewhere that the woman was small and the cat was a maine coon. Now, a small woman plus a large cat makes it look like a LARGER cat. I'd like to see how big he is when he's wet. :lol:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
LettuceLady said:
Is it kinda common for a maine coon to be that large or just large in general?
Yeah, Maine Coons are huge, often. I have read it is not uncommon for males to be over 20 pounds, without being overweight. 8O

Here is something from a FAQ I once read:
Although the Yankee myth of 30-pound cats is just that, a myth (unless the cat is grossly overweight!), these are indeed tall, muscular, big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Add to that two or three inches of winter coat, and people will swear that they're looking at one big cat.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi there, I'm new here, and I know all about big cats. The last time I was at the vet with my guy, he weighed in at 27 pounds. He does not eat table food, is on a diet of 3/4 of a cup of food per day, and for some reason cannot lose the weight. He is very playful, and loves to walk and sit on our legs every chance he gets. He is going to 4 this July, he is a polydactyl (7,6,5,5) all orange, and very loveable. When I figure out how, I will post a picture of him and his "sister".

Cat.

P.S. I got him when I saw someone trying to throw a plastic grocery bag in the river, and I could hear him crying. I just grabed that bag and ran. It's the best thing that I ever did. I love him dearly, and any amount of money would not be enough to take him from me. ( I have been offered at least 1,000.00 for him because he is a completely orange polydactyl, and considered to be very good luck).

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
cat1963 said:
Hi there, I'm new here, and I know all about big cats. The last time I was at the vet with my guy, he weighed in at 27 pounds. He does not eat table food, is on a diet of 3/4 of a cup of food per day, and for some reason cannot lose the weight. He is very playful, and loves to walk and sit on our legs every chance he gets. He is going to 4 this July, he is a polydactyl (7,6,5,5) all orange, and very loveable. When I figure out how, I will post a picture of him and his "sister".

Cat.

P.S. I got him when I saw someone trying to throw a plastic grocery bag in the river, and I could hear him crying. I just grabed that bag and ran. It's the best thing that I ever did. I love him dearly, and any amount of money would not be enough to take him from me. ( I have been offered at least 1,000.00 for him because he is a completely orange polydactyl, and considered to be very good luck).
Hi! Welcome to the forum. If you're wanting your kitty to lose weight, check out the Health and Nutrition forum here. It has a lot of great information on diet, especially the benefits of an all canned diet and the myths of dry food. I believe there is a sticky (a post that is always on top) about why canned food is better than dry.

Good luck on your kitty losing weight!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If that last picture is real, that poor cats owners should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals, in my opinion - that is disgusting and that cat must be absolutely miserable.
Completely true Emma. They have fed that cat so much and made him so fat - for what? One famous picture.
The poor thing wouldnt be able to walk about and if it is still like that might even be dead :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
makes me angry how some people can do stuff to their cats or any animals, throwing them off a bridge?! comeon if you really cant keep the cat then put it into a shelter so he can be adopted by a REAL family.

I applaude you for rescuing that cat before the bag was thrown over.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If that last picture is real, that poor cats owners should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals, in my opinion - that is disgusting and that cat must be absolutely miserable.
YES I AGREE!!! i have seen that pic before...and i cried! poor kitty!!! our cat twix is a bit overweight (mayb by 1/2 or 1 lb...not bad, though) and he is 18 lbs! :D we've started calling him T-wix (like T-rex) cuz you can hear him walking on the hard floor :lol: but we exercise our cats alot w/ toys so they run, we would NEVER let them get like that other kitty!!! :cry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts