Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Nutmeg has the stamina of a kitten, and Sinatra of an old man. Nutmeg has taken to running around chasing him and tackling and biting for about an hour at a time until I shoo her away because Sinatra gets overwhelmed and hisses after awhile. What can I do to let her know that it is okay to play but enough is enough when Sinatra is done? I feel like Sinatra is left out of things sometimes because he doesn't want to bother with starting a chase session by coming into contact with Nutmeg.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have this problem with Ninja. He gets on Sully's last nerve sometimes. When that happens I usually just try to engage Ninja in a game to distract him and give sully a chance to retreat. She is a kitten, she's going to need to vent that energy on something, so it won't be enough to just stop her chasing Sinatra. She will also need a redirection to something more tolerant of her attention.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Setting aside the middle of the night for a minute, I agree with Kobster...try playing with Nutmeg when she gets too wound up. If you're too busy at the time, then give her something to distract her attention. I keep various old boxes and bags around and bring one out every so often and toss a few toy mice or balls in it. That tends to occupy Abby for a while if/when she starts to bug Muffs too much (or vice versa). I also rotate their toys so that they get a "new" toy every few days, which they typically haven't seen for a few weeks.

As for the middle of the night, clearly you shouldn't get up and play with her. About the only thing I can suggest is to try to play with her a bit more (or otherwise give her things to keep her active) during the evenings, followed by a meal or a snack before bedtime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts