Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nutmeg has NEVER hissed before, not even at Sinatra when they first met, but tonight she did!! My boyfriend was holding her and I was cutting her nails and she started hissing at us. We finished her front paws and left the back because she was so upset. She normally doesn't like having her nails cut but she has never reacted this strongly. I really doubt I hit the nerve but I'm so worried I hurt her!! My poor baby, she seems fine now and doesn't seem mad but I'm still shocked she hissed at us!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Last time she said to herself: "I hate this. Why do I let them get away with it so easily? Next time they try it, I'll hiss. That'll show them!"

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Becky. Muffs hissed at me once (the day I adopted Abby!) and I know it can be sort of scary or upsetting when it happens. Often cats will hiss when they're scared. So, perhaps there was something about the way you or your BF were holding Nutmeg that troubled her. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. If you had actually hurt her or cut too deep, she would have done more than hiss...and her paw likely would have been bleeding. So, I'm sure you didn't do that.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree with Susan, she would have been bleeding. I'm sure she was just scared.

Off-topic, but I really do like her name!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Maybe this time she was just NOT in the mood and I mean REALLY NOT in the mood for that. I've found with my two - they can be pretty pissy if you catch them at the wrong time for something.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
My girl doesn't like it if I clip her nails in the livingroom especially if her halfbrother is nearby (sometimes he can be a bully). But there's no problem if I cut her nails while she's on the bathroom counter with the door closed, and he's not in there. Try that next time for a nail clip, and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It shakes me up when a cat hisses at me! Rookie did it a few times, always in a defensive situation. We haven't heard Murphy hiss yet . . . and I hope we never do.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Maybe this time she was just NOT in the mood and I mean REALLY NOT in the mood for that. I've found with my two - they can be pretty pissy if you catch them at the wrong time for something.
This totally. We always start with the girls back paws first and then do the front ones. I hold while the boyfriend clips (I have poor depth perception, so seeing the quick is hard for me...). Sometimes they let us know just how upset they are with us doing this...

Alice actually bit at my boyfriend's face once, she was so unhappy. She was being a little squiggly in my arms, but the teeth just came out of nowhere. And she's Daddy's girl 4 lyfe! We were both surprised at that one. Usually she's fine until we move to the front paws, then she starts getting antsy...never bitsey though, except that one random time.

Rochelle is just awful...every time. She's a princess and a diva, and if she isn't 110% on board with whatever yer doing, she lets you know by throwing fits. She seriously acts like she's dying every time (I wonder what the neighbors think when they hear her..."OMG, those people are torturing their cats again!"...*sigh*...). She cries, hisses, tosses around...but as soon as that treat comes out after we're done, she's like the sweetest thing again. :roll:

Samantha has never given us any problems while nail clipping, but then again, she's only got the back paws to do.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I didn't mean to make light if you were upset she hissed. MowMow has done it once or twice at me when I've had to medicate his ears. It always cracks me up because he looks SOOOOO SERIOUS. I have to kiss his head and hug him.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol Krissy no I wasn't upset, just surprised! I appreciate everyone's support, but I think she was having an attitude because she is a diva and knew Daddy would cuddle her and give her a million kisses afterwards because "Mommy is so mean".

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
I had never, ever heard my twins hiss until Gigi arrived.

When Charlee hissed at me one day, I was so shocked - and hurt!! Hasn't really happened since, and I know it was probably redirected aggression because she had a run-in with Gigi shortly before that. But still....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts