Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All morning Nutmeg has been retching and trying to get something up. When she opens her mouth while retching it looks like there is something in there, then it goes back down. What she does get up is clear and looks like saliva or maybe bile. Is this a stubborn hairball or is she sick? She has been known to eat things she shouldn't so I am worried. :(

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Sounds like a stubborn hairball, but it could be something she ate.

Do you have any hairball gel or vaseline you can give her?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Can you have someone hold Nutmeg while you open her mouth and have a good look to see if there is something stuck in her throat? If it's a hairball, with all the retching she's doing it would probably have come up by now. If she's prone to swallowing odd things, better to have a vet look. Hope it's just a hairball.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
I find hairballs (and hairball soup) in the strangest places.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Glad to hear she's back to normal. Whew! Our furkids do scare us at times.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Amen to that. It only took one time for me to put nightlights in the hallway on the way to the bathroom so I can groggily scan the floor as I walk through in the middle of the night. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey, glad Nutmeg is feeling fine.

Miu also has these episodes on and off. I don't find anything though. She seems totally fine after the retching although nothing comes out.

Sorry for the hijack, but also wondering if it's normal to not find any hairballs? Should I give her petroleum jelly on a regular basis as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but also wondering if it's normal to not find any hairballs? Should I give her petroleum jelly on a regular basis as a preventative measure?
I think it's normal for short-haired cats, and I think Miu is short-haired. My girls (both long-haired) have hairballs about once a month or once every few months. My grand-kitty Neko (short-hair in my avatar) never has hairballs, and a friend of mine with only short-haired cats never finds any hairballs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts