Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We are trying to find a Adult Dry food as we are switching over from kitten.
We are feeding Acana Kitten but the LFS no longer carries Acana at all because they cannot guarantee their meat.

My dad brought home a 7.5kg bag of Nutram super premium cat food. Made in Canada.

Ingredients: Chicken meal, ground rice, ground yellow corn, chicken fat (preserved with Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, flaxseed, chicken, chicken digest, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, salt, brewers dried yeast, sorbic acid, choline chloride, methionine, glucosamine, chondroitin, taurine, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, cobalt proteinate, sodium selenite

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein min. 31.0%
Crude Fat min. 18.0%
Crude Fibre max. 2.0%
Moisture max. 10.0%
Crude Ash max. 6.0%
Magnesium min. 0.08%
Calcium min. 1.5%
Phosphorus min. 1.0%
Copper min. 25.0 mg/Kg
Vitamin A min 13,500.0 IU/Kg
Vitamin D3 min 1,400.0 IU/Kg
Vitamin E min. 165.0 IU/Kg
Vitamin B2 min. 10.4 mg/Kg
Taurine min. 1,276.0 mg/Kg
Sodium min. 0.25%
Glucosamine 250 mL/Kg
Chondroitin 250 mL/Kg

Is this any good? Does anyone use this?

I have read this forums many times about choosing food... and I have never seen many of the brands discussed.. Wellness, Blue, etc.

I have a hard time because my Dad really only looks at the price and I look at the ingredients.
I've tried the: poop less, less vet bills, etc. deal..

and we still really haven't yet come to a compromise..

Help!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy that food for my cat because the first ingredient is meal and the second and third ingredients are fillers. Ingredients are listed in order of content. The first ingredient is the most prevalent. Look for a food that lists turkey, chicken, beef, etc. as it's first, second, and even third ingredient. I also stay away from foods with rice or corn because my cat is diabetic and that will make his blood glucose spike.

Maybe some of our Canadian posters can tell us some brand names of good foods available there.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
All dry foods are made with meals as the primary protein source. In fact, I would *avoid* a dry food listing something like "chicken" as the first ingredient because it's most likely a marketing gimmick and the food is probably not that great. Pedigree is a good example.

In this case, while chicken meal is a perfectly fine ingredient, there are three grain meals listed, which makes me believe that the grain ingredients, taken together, will total far more than the chicken meal. However, that's about par for the course. The carb content is about 39%, not too bad for a dry food. They are obviously making an effort by including flaxseed and using chelated minerals. There are no really egregious ingredients here, so in terms of quality, given your limitations (i.e., your dad!), it's pretty good.

Most of the foods we discuss here are U.S. made, Canada plays by quite different rules so it's hard to transfer accurate info across the border!

So, tell your dad, "Good job," and be content. It's probably as good as you're going to get! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
27 Posts
This was the cat food that was being feed to my second kitty when I got her, so I bought some for her. However, it turns out that this food was responsible for her terrible gas problem (peeyew!!!), as well as a poop smell that traveled around the apartment. It was really gross. As soon as I switched her food, she stopped having any sort of gas and I couldn't even tell when she had pooped.
I would definately not recomend this food at all!
I give them Evolve now which they LOVE. A 7lb bag is $20 CDN and lasts for at least a month when shared by 2 cats. It can be found at Pet Value and other smaller pet stores.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Every cat will potentially react differently to any given food. I used to recommend Flint River Ranch a lot, and while most cats did great on it, one household had several cats that got terrible diarrhea from it.

So, I would reserve judgment on a food that is otherwise not too bad, based on one experience in one home. If it works for these cats in the difficult situation she's in, I say go for it! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts