Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home last night to find a one lb bag of peanuts pulled out of the cabinet and the bag chewed through and when I weighed the bag it was now less than 1/2 a lb. Next to it was empty bag from about 1/2 lb of Raw Almonds that didn't fit into the mason jar I keep them in. I buy them in bulk to munch on the almonds and to make peanut butter with the peanuts.

Shepherd Book was a very quiet and subdued kitten all night. I only gave him half ration of food and @ 3:30 this morning the vomiting started. HUGE quantities of nuts and leftover cat food. Four big piles. Poor little guy, I knew it was coming but he sure didn't. At first he kept running from me when I tried to pet him but I finally corned him and started stroking him. Then he became my bestest friend. All he wanted was mommy to pet him and rub his belly (something he rarely lets me do). When I would stop he'd roll onto his back and "Mreow" at me until I'd rub some more.

I wonder if this will teach him NOT to steal food... I bet not. I have tubs in all the cupboards separating foods (canned goods, snack items, baking supplies..etc) but I hadn't put these items inside them. Just tucked in front of the cupboards. Today I made sure there is NOTHING loose. It's all in tubs and there isn't enough rooom for him to get inside the cupboard and get into the tubs (I hope).

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If you haven't talked to the vet, I suggest you give them a call. I seem to remember that almonds may be a problem, but that info isn't consistent. Given the qty he seems to have ingested, even though he brought a lot of it up...he could still have something in his blood stream that may be building up and could cause problems...kind of like lily poisoning where it's too late by the time you see symptoms and it may take a few days to see the symptoms.

If the vet says there shouldn't be an issue, there is one other thing to be concerned about...constipation. Nuts are very binding. You might want to give him some hairball remedy to help keep things moving...but don't do that until you talk to the vet.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the vet earlier. She said that anything he had eaten would have been absorbed within 4 hours and would have done it's damage.

She said to keep an eye on him today (I'll run home at lunch) and if he's not perky and himself tonight to bring him in.

I'm not expecting a WHOLE lot of poop because I gave him half rations last night and tonight to try and ease his belly (he ate all of both). I did add lots of extra water to make sure his insides were hydrated, especially after he threw up.

Edited to add: She also said they want to do a hair analysis on him to see if he's having trouble absorbing something that's causing him to be SUCH a chow hound.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
OMG! What a crazy guy your Book is. Can't believe he ate all that. What a little troublemaker. And I'm sure he will continue to surprise you with other antics as well. Sure keeps life exciting for you, huh? :crazy

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Every time the twinz make me crazy, I find one of your posts about SB, and all of a sudden, my bratz seem like angelz. :shock:

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's probably not nearly as bad as I make him out to be. I think it's that compared to MOwMOw who rarely does ANYTHING wrong and reacts to a shocked "MowMow?!" the same way he would if I beat him with a broom...Book seems like a monster.

He seems fine this morning. He attacked MowMow (in play) a few times last night and they chased each other around a bit and again this morning. He ate all his lunch/dinner last night and breakfast this morning with gusto. No poops yet but if something doesn't happen by tomorrow/Sunday I'll contact the vet and have it seen too (or if he seems uncomfortable in anyway).

When I left this morning they were on the window sill and MowMow was humping him. I left them to it and came to work......

I did offer him a bite of my peanut butter toast this morning and he walked away. :p I guess it was a bit of aversion therapy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts