Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the forums...so let me first say hi to all, and thanks for any help you can provide.

Let me explain the cat first. (grab a drink, get comfortable, and be patient. this could take a while... lol)

We brought a stray tomcat into our home here about a few months ago. He was a cat that kept coming to our doorstep wanting love, attention, food, and water. We gave him these things on a daily basis. Well, we couldnt resist making him ours. (after placing ads in the paper, to see if he was someone elses of course). He didnt belong to anyone, so he was now ours. We had him fixed, and had all of his shots taken care of. He was/and still is a very mild tempered cat for being a tomcat.

Heres lies the problem: He has gotten into a NASTY routine of being nocturnal. He sleeps all day long and then is up all night long running around, meowing, getting into stuff, and scratching furniture. I swear its like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hide. During the day he is sweet as can be, and sleeps quite a bit. But at night its a totally different story. Obviously this leads to my wife and I constantly tryin to correct him in the middle of the night and this is causing major sleep loss. I can usually sleep through most of his banter, but my wife is 8 months pregnant and its hard enough for her as it is to get sleep. This cat isnt helping.

We love him to death, and DONT want to get rid of him...but we have to get rid of this habit of his.

We have tried: Keeping window shades open so he can look outside.
Keeping toys out for him to play with.
Spray bottle to keep him corrected.
Putting him in a separate room. (which REALLY makes him mad and gets him even more obnoxious)
Even let him sleep WITH us to see if its just an attention problem.

It seems like some of these methods work, but its only for short periods of time. And every time he wakes one of us up early in the morning and keeps us up from that point.....HES TOTALLY QUIET AFTER THAT. Its like he just doesnt like us sleeping/being quiet.

ANY help would be appreciated. I think what we're gonna try today, is a dose of his own medicine. We're not gonna let him sleep AT ALL today, so maybe he'll get on the same sleep pattern as us. Wish us luck.

Thanks again for any help,

BC

·
Registered
654 Posts
It could be he isn't used to your routine yet how many months have you had, him, have you also tried letting him outside a night or do you have a cat flap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Madmissie- We have had him for about 2.5 months now. We dont really prefer him to be let outside, because we've already paid for all the vet bills to keep him an inside cat. (ie we dont want him getting fleas or ticks etc.) And basically we thought that if we let him outside now and then, then he would constantly wanna be outside....leading to looking at the door and meowing nonstop. So we decided to keep him as an "inside cat only" so to speak. Not to mention with the weather we've been having lately, its been ridiculously cold.

I mean, is it SAFE for a cat to be an indoor/outdoor. I just dont want him bringing in any kind of bugs, disease, or dirt. My wife is already paranoid enough as it is. (with the whole toxoplasmosis thing)

So where do we go from here?

Thanks again,

BC

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Cats are nocturnal by nature -- yours isn't just trying to give you a hard time. I'd say that you're on the right track -- trying to keep him up during the day. Are you and your wife gone during the day? If so this is the perfect time for him to sleep so that he has tons of energy by the time you go to bed. ;) If you're gone, make sure he has tons of toys, interactive ones, that might keep him occupied during the day. Changing his routine should be gradual -- not immediate -- he'll get the idea after a while if you keep it up. I have heard from someone here that a good thing to try and make him sleep at night is to play with him 1-1.5 hours before you go to bed, and follow it up with a wet food snack like meat baby food. This should get him sleepy.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I'm glad you've decided to make your cat an indoor cat only. To try to calm down the cat during early morning hours, try playing with them before bed time and keep them up during the day. My cats are used to my schedule now and sleep with me all night and wake when I do. If they wake you up early, kick them out and put them in another room and do not pay any attention to them b/c if you do they will keep wanting to meow and wake you up. You have to be stern and eventually they will learn the message. I had to go through long periods of time hearing the door scratch and meowing but now they're both angels....

Good Luck! :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts