Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My cat has obstipation. I introduced a new cat in the household mid April. The new cat was a 1 yo male, feral kitten, sweet as a pea though with humans, but with my cats he's a bit rough and tumble. Although there's never been any growling or hissing. But sometimes my obstipated cat with kind of mount him as a dominance move.

I so much regret it because I think it is what stressed my cat.

He had severe constipation 2 years ago when I was dating a guy and spent a lot of time at his house.

Last time, the obstipation procedure and enemas worked and he pooped within a day.

This time, it's been 48 hours since I brought him home from the obstipation procedure. And the Dr. said there was some stool they couldn't reach. I took him for a recheck last night and all they did was another enema, upped his laxtulose to 3x per day and included a pain med. They felt the pain might be keeping him from pooping.

So I'm about at 24 hours since taking him in last night for the recheck.

This morning I THOUGHT the poop was there, it seemed too big for my young cat and too small for my old cat. I thought it was from my constipated cat - also because it had a consistency like very firm modeling clay. But then later today I saw him in the box trying with nothing happening. So now I wonder if that wasn't his poop after all.

What do you think I need to do at this juncture? Give it another 24 hours? Take him in for another obstipation procedure? Go straight to surgery?

I want to minimize the pain and stress.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think the best thing for you to do is talk to your vet. Since we are not veterinarians, we cannot advise you on medical issues. Call the vet and tell them what is going on and if possible get him in to see them as soon as you can. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. That's good advice. I talked to my vet today and she advised to give it some time and to call tomorrow to let her know how he's doing. He seems to be feeling a little better this evening.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, sometimes cats with ob/constipation benefit from more wet food than dry to increase hydration and food that's high in fiber in their diet which helps pass the stool easier. You could ask your Vet about that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts