Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called about 6 butchers in my area and NO ONE carries chicken hearts. Really?? Does anyone have a reliable mail order POC for them?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If you have an Asian market in your area, call them. Asian markets often carry organ meats that aren't available in mainstream grocery stores. Don't restrict yourself to chicken hearts. You may find beef heart easier to find.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Also, ask the head butcher at your grocery store. I know mine doesn't carry things like pork kidney and beef heart but when I asked they were able to get it on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do have an Asian market but the few times I've been there I can't find anyone that speaks English! Funny how you can run a market in America and not speak English! I'll try again with a manager and see if I have better luck.

Thanks, MowMow, I'll ask.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I can find them on the regular grocery store shelves here in Mass. but the problem is that they come in a package of gizzards and hearts, which is mostly gizzards and very few hearts.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
So? My guys like gizzards too so getting a mix would be fine. You might need to add something tasty to encouragethem to try it a few times, but gizzards are good for their teeth!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I assume Marcia is looking for hearts because they are especially high in taurine. That is not the case with gizzards.

Laurie

·
Registered
578 Posts
Marcia, try finding out what the market is - Korean? Chinese? Japanese? Probably they are Korean. Korean markets are big in the US. It would go a long way to try to say hello or some kind of greeting in their native language, and then ask for what you're looking for in English. Look for the sons or daughters (or younger people) because they will know English whereas the older generations are more prone to stick to their native language. Korean markets are the best!

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume Marcia is looking for hearts because they are especially high in taurine. That is not the case with gizzards.

Laurie
BINGO, Laurie! Ever since Sameer wrote that his taurine hasn't arrived I wondered if I should just start suing the ratio recipe for cat food using real chicken hearts. I called everyone locally and the only one that might be able to help was a food packing plant that would sell me the little bags of innards from the chickens. I was hoping to find a mail order source. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the taurine. I did find a source that sells truckloads by bulk. Can you imagine? a truckload of chicken hearts??!!

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I googled about and found this:

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=ASA_flypage.tpl&product_id=687&category_id=36&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=130

Has anyone ordered from this site before ? I've really been considering going raw for my cats but unfortunately, I just don't think I have the freezer space for it.
Thanks for the link. The shipping is MORE than the hearts! If I order 10 pounds it comes to almost $5/pound with the shipping. Seems quite steep. What does it normally cost for chicken hearts in a store? If nothing else, this has been a great learning curve!

Molldee - that's a great idea. They are Chinese I think so I'll learn how to say "hello, can you help me?"

·
Registered
132 Posts
BINGO, Laurie! Ever since Sameer wrote that his taurine hasn't arrived I wondered if I should just start suing the ratio recipe for cat food using real chicken hearts. I called everyone locally and the only one that might be able to help was a food packing plant that would sell me the little bags of innards from the chickens. I was hoping to find a mail order source. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the taurine. I did find a source that sells truckloads by bulk. Can you imagine? a truckload of chicken hearts??!!
hi is it better to use heart of the chicken instead of taurine? i talked to my butcher and he said that he can give me hearts as much as i want. i was going with taurine beacuse i thaught if i will use heart every time it will increase heat in my cat's body and i got a message from ebay that my taurine will be delivered by 12th jan and my kitten is also coming on 12th i just cant wait till 12th:-:)-(

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, Sameer it is. Chicken hearts are natural versus the taurine. Having said that, the taurine is fine if you don't have access to the hearts. The nutritional qualities you get from either recipe you use is great so don't worry about it. If you have hearts and want to use them, great. Otherwise use the taurine. American's palates are not as varied as Europeans or Indians' so I'm guessing that is why I'm having such a hard time. Could be just this area - it's not exactly cosmopolitan where I live.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, Sameer it is. Chicken hearts are natural versus the taurine. Having said that, the taurine is fine if you don't have access to the hearts. The nutritional qualities you get from either recipe you use is great so don't worry about it. If you have hearts and want to use them, great. Otherwise use the taurine. American's palates are not as varied as Europeans or Indians' so I'm guessing that is why I'm having such a hard time. Could be just this area - it's not exactly cosmopolitan where I live.
as i have already ordered taurine i will finish it first then i will go with hearts only i think taurine will last for around 6 months

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was able to find chicken (pork & beef) hearts at a local farm. This farm raises all their stock on pasture the old school way. I was able to pick up 2lbs of hearts and livers for $2 per pound. There is an equal number of hearts and livers in each bag. They had beef and pork heart priced at $3 per pound.

It might be worth trying to find a farm in your area that raises, processes and sells it's own meat? Searching for a buyers club might help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just found this farm, they deliver to VA Beach: Full Quiver Farm. They do offer chicken hearts and many other tempting items :)

Edit: They have a note on the chicken hearts that they will not be available until April :(

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just found this farm, they deliver to VA Beach: Full Quiver Farm. They do offer chicken hearts and many other tempting items :)

Edit: They have a note on the chicken hearts that they will not be available until April :(
WOW!! What a great website - and right in my back yard!! I could not be happier - thank you so much!, and SO many yummy things to buy, too! Sounds like they have a wonderful farm out there - I think I'll do a day trip when the weather is nicer. :yellbounce

1 - 20 of 21 Posts