Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed here lately that sometimes when Stormy and Justin are play fighting, I'll hear them in the other room and one will be hissing at the other. They haven't done this since I first introduced them and now it's happening about every other day. Sometimes I yell at them to knock it off (which usually works) or they just walk away from each other or sometimes I will even take one into my room with me and leave the other in the living room to give them about 10 minutes away from each other. Kitty time-out :)
I think it is Stormy hissing at Justin. It seems to happen sometimes whenever he trys to be the dominant one in wresting or be the one chasing her...sometimes she will "allow" it, other times not. Is she trying to prove to him that she is still the dominant cat or what? Do they just get pissy with each other now and then like humans do?
It's nothing I'm really too concerned about, it just seems curious that it is happening now and did not really happen before. The only thing that has changed lately is that I maybe haven't spent quite as much time playing with them during the week. I will try to remedy that though.
Oh yeah and in between these hissing spats they act normal to each other, playing with each other, sometimes sleeping together.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are each about a few months shy of being 2 years. They have been living together since mid-October. Stormy (the "old" cat) seemed to have more problems adjusting to Justin (the "new" cat). Justin was very used to other cats, but a little bit shy and definately non-confrontational and laid back. I introduced them very slowly, there was some hissing at first (from Stormy) and then it went away.
Another thing Stormy did recently was when I took down their catnip scratcher (I don't leave it down all the time). Usually Stormy will go scratch on it first and Justin will do so when she is finished. Howevier, this time Justin went up to scratch first and Stormy got pissed. She kept smacking him with her paw and though she didn't hurt him, I sensed that she was serious about this. It peeved her that Justin was trying to go first. Sounds like my little girl is very concerned with being alpha cat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sometimes, my female cats will react this way whenever thet are the brunt of another's play, especially the males. One of my pets, (Fawn) a part Abyssinian male will go about stirring up trouble, by chasing several of my females, Tippee, (one of my torties) having the most violet reaction to his antics. Although I percieve most of his aggressiveness as being play, he still enjoys doing it to the same females. There are a few whom he will not attempt any aggressive play, because he know that he will get his ears "boxed down." :) It sounds as though you are dealing with a dominant female, and she doesn't enjoy your male cat's antics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree, Wayne. There is definitely a status disagreement here. The thing is, knowing now that the've only been working it out for a few months, it makes a world of sense that they'd be hitting "the wall" right about now.

I think Justin is just testing his limits. Perfectly normal, especially for a male cat his age. It's like having an 18 year old boy under your roof. :twisted:
I think that Stormy will work this out for both of them, however, like I said before, regimented playtime, every day with both of them to get that excess territorial energy out in a more positively directed place.

Hope that helps :lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! They've gotten long play sessions for 3 days in a row now. Today I actually noticed that Justin was willing to play with more toys than he usually does! This is GREAT because he needs to lose some weight and the more I can get him to run and jump, the better.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
screech, smeagle and butch at one point or another when playing, weather it be play fighting, or taking anothers toy have hissed and growled at each other, i dont worry about it, 5 mintues later u will see them snuggled up together. I think it just one way of them saying "ok enough!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts