Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a rather odd behavior in Jasmine for a number of months now. She wakes up about 9 in the morning goes to her litter box and scratches the inside-side for 30 min. It's not because her box is dirty box either. Soon as the box was cleaned she jumped in it and started to do it again.

Jasmine is very prissy and at first we thought it might be because she didn't like the feel of the litter on her feet and she was trying to wipe her feet off. But now it's become a rather annoying habit she does. It doesn't seem like something she would need to go to the vet over just another in a long list of odd behaviors. She really is a strange kitty. Any Idea tho or Advice as to Why she's doing it?

I might get a video soon of her doing it and post it

Among her other more interesting behaviors she's obsessed with the Printer, the laptop, the stock market, Metallica, which is her lullaby and Guitars she thinks she can play them and change the strings. but the printer is her best friend and now we have two printers she really goes nuts... it just fascinates her to no end... she will have her head and paw in it trying to pull the paper out... she also know the computer makes it work and she will press all sorts of buttons till it starts working.

If i put METALLICA on she goes to the tv and watches it till she falls asleap smiling... I think she has a crush on James Hetfield. And she watches the stock ticker on CNBC all day with my dad.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
ArtistGayle said:
Any Idea tho or Advice as to Why she's doing it?
Your kitty is only exhibiting a strong instinct to bury her waste. There is nothing you can do to change this behavior, it is genetically hard-wired. It isn't a 'learned' behavior, her instincts are demanding she do this and she obeys. You can sometimes distract them from their instinctually-driven behaviors, but I do not think we can ever remove them. I have a digger/scratcher...and she usually MISSES burying her waste! :lol: All those minutes of diging/scratching and she can't get it covered! Silly kitteh... When she digs, digs, digs in the office litterchest and it just 'gets to me', I'll lift the lid and encourage her to leave, telling her she is a good kitty but she is done and should go play and do other kitty-things.

Your very best bet for handling this situation, is to place the litterbox where the sound of her excavations cannot bother anyone.
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wish my older cat would be more like yours. The younger cat will go in and cover her sister's deposits.

Better that your kitty is clean than not though.

Our older cat is obsessed with my DVD recorders. One has an open/close feature on the remote and we played with this when she was smaller. Now, when she hears the motors start up when they turn on, or begin to record, she will run and position herself to catch the drawer if and when it opens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts