Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my manx/siames cross female is exhibiting some strange behavior. First a little background. I found her, starving half to death in my neigborhood. We thought she was pregnant, cause she was producing milk, and we could not find any kittens in the neigborhood, and she showed no interest in going anywhere, when we let her outside. She was highly agressive to our dogs and other cat for a few weeks, and though she's not warming up to them, most of the agressiveness has subsided. Now for the odd behavior, when I'm walking through the house, she will walk in front of me purring and meowing, stop in front of me, and hiss, growl and swat at my legs. The first time she done this, I thought I had accidentally cornered her, and she thought she had to defend herself, but that's not the case, she'll do this in a wide open space. I know, since I took her in, I have spoiled the sh*t out of her (with attention) and she has the coolest personality (albeit a bit quirky) of any cat I have ever had. She'll come when called, follows me around almost dog like. She'll be purring 1 minute and growling and hissing the next, but even though she's making alot of racket, she bites very gently. Sorry for such a long post, but can anyone explain any of this behavior?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
She has probably had some bad experiences out there and has to finally know she is safe to stop the behavior. That being said I would put Feliway plug in dispensers around your house to help calm her down.

Here is a great article called Kitty Boot Camp written by Heidi that would have many tips to help in her socialization.

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Kitty Cat Boot Camp

·
Registered
762 Posts
Many cats just have their own quirky behaviors. This may or may not fade with time, it's probably just her way. Have you had her to the vet and had her spayed? Her kittens probably didn't survive, but if she isn't spayed yet, she will be going back into heat at any time.

Plus, that milk drying up can sometimes be painful. But....I've had cats who like to weave between my legs. I have a cat who likes to be pet, but even though she purrs and leans into itafter three or four strokes, she gives me one warning, such as a tail rattle or a tilt of the ears. If I don't head that warning I will be swatted and growled at. If I ignore even that, the next swat will have claws out. If I persist in my attentions, the teeth will come out. But she will be purring the whole time.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
She may have had kittens and that is why she was aggressive to the dogs and other cats, because her homones were still active, and females with kittens can become very aggessive...It's possible her kitties died shortly after birth.

As far as walking in front of you, then stops and hisses and growls, is as you say a little "quirky". I had Manx for many years, but can't say I ever experienced that particular behavior (maybe a Siamese thing?). Could it be she thinks you're following her too closely and is going to get bumped or stepped on? When she does this the next time you might try bending over and or crouching down and say "what do you want?" It's possible she thinks it's time to be fed and is trying to stop you from walking away and really wants her food? She's trying to communicate something or trying to keep you from going somewhere. Are you heading to go outside when she does this? If it is it could be her way of saying she doesn't want you to leave the house. I have had cats do the weaving-walk in front of me when they know I'm leaving the house, but not with growling and hissing. Try and pinpoint when and where this happens and maybe you can figure out why she's trying to keep you from going somewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
(I wrote a reply but it didn't seem to show up...so sorry if this winds up being a double!)

When my baby's foster momma brought him over for the first meeting, she warned us that he was very shy. To the contrary - he came out of his cage, sniffed a little and curled up into a ball on my lap!! I guess he did pick us!

He was the most affectionate kitten I had ever met - he loves being picked up and he is like velcro! At first, he was always with me - every moment. He liked sitting on my keyboard and I needed to get some work done so I sent him into the living room. He then got super attached to my husband and for about three weeks he was in his lap 24/7.

I feed him all of his meals and we both play with him. Now, he's like a diplomat and lovingly splits time between us. From my lap to his and back - then at night he cuddles like a teddy bear. Also - a new thing he does - about five times a day (and always after meals) he jumps on the bed and cries until I lift up the bedcovers to let him under. Then he curls up, purrs so loud like a motorboat!, and licks like crazy. He does this for about twenty minutes.

The personal feeding definitely works to win back affection - but again, my little dude is quirky and super affectionate. And remember - No free feeding! :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If this were my recently-adopted cat Nikita, that behavior would mean she wants something specific that I'm not happy to give her - usually the dry kibble I give to the strays, which she loves and I refuse to feed her since I've adopted her. Or just simply, attention. "Stop whatever you're doing and wherever you're going and give me attention NOW!" In such cases I just stand still and ask her what she wants, she usually shows me by leading me somewhere (usually to the pantry, to the barrel with the kibble).

Princess Gatita holds on to my arms with her paws and claws when she doesn't want me to stop petting her and get up to do something else.

Prince swats my leg when I pass by him, to make me stop and pay attention to him.

None of them did this at the beginning. As you say, this only started happening once I'd already spoilt them rotten. They're naughty, pampered, spoilt brats with too much time on their hands and they manipulate my feelings because when I met them they were poor starving strays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts