Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's cat, Sally has been doing something very unusual lately. She has lost several of her teeth, but was getting along very well eating her usual dry cat food even with those teeth gone. But now, she refuses to eat her cat food. At first I thought her teeth had gotton worse, and maybe it had become painful for her to eat it. But the other morning I walked in to see her eating one of our dog's dry food. :shock: The dog food is just as hard if not harder as the cat food. :shock: This is all very confusing for me and of course our dogs aren't particularly fond of the cat eating thier food. :? What could be the problem? She gladly eats wet cat food, but I don't want to have to put her on a all wet food diet. :? A freind of mine's cats only eat wet food and they're both VERY over-wieght. I don't want this happening to our relativly healthy, good wieght cat. Any help is much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How old is your cat? My cat is 19 and when she lost all her teeth, she could no longer eat hard food and since she was an old lady, we just let her eat whatever she wants until she decides its time to leave us. As long as she is eating SOMETHING, we know she is still doing well. We also mix her wet food with warm water to make sure she gets enough fluids. Or if you think she will still be able to eat hard food, maybe just change the brand? You can get free samples for most good brands out there, I'd suggest you try that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. :) She's 13 years old and is in very good condition. She should be with us for many many more years..... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a picture of her. :)

My dad found her in the woods as a little kitten. She's quite small, so it's very likely that her mom abondoned her since she was probably the runt of the litter. Who knows really, but we're glad we have her. :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope Sally is with you many more years. I also think it would be best to find a dry food she likes. Dog food just doesn't have enough protein in it. Perhaps you could add a spoonful of canned food to make it tastier.

I had a cat who would go through all sorts of aerobic moves to get to the Milkbones we buy for the dog. She ate cat food, but I guess she thought they were dessert! On the other hand, my collie really loves cat food. I have to keep the sliding door shut, or he'd empty their bowl in a minute. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope Sally is with you many more years.
Thanks. :)

I also think it would be best to find a dry food she likes. Dog food just doesn't have enough protein in it. Perhaps you could add a spoonful of canned food to make it tastier.
Any suggestions for good cat food? We feed her Cat Chow now, but my mom bought the Grocery Store brand last time, maybe she doesn't like the change? We'll make sure to get her back on Cat Chow, and if she still refuses to eat it I guess we'll be out on the food hunt again. :roll: (Just finished searching for the perfect food for the dogs, who seem to be allergic to everything :x ) I'll also try adding some wet to her dry, maybe that'll tempt her a little bit. :)

On the other hand, my collie really loves cat food. I have to keep the sliding door shut, or he'd empty their bowl in a minute.
I know what u mean. :roll: :lol: LOL, we got the dogs tryin' to eat the kitty food, and now our cat's eatin' the dog food, I think our animals are a little confused..... :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hello Abker,

I would try a better quality food than Cat Chow. There are many threads in the Health and Nutrition section about good cat foods and I think some of them have specialty foods for older cats. I'd have a look at the list and maybe do some web searches and try to get some free samples before you buy an entire big bag.

I agree, Sally is very cute. Looks a lot like Mitzi, my 19 yr old.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Abker: Sorry I'm getting to this post a little late.

Speak with your vet first, to make sure he or she doesn't feel any specific type of diet or even perscription diet is necissary for your kitty at this time.

Here is a incomplete listing of pet foods for cats, not all may be appropriate for yours at this time, again something which your vet can tell you on the nutritional requirments or dry/wet food. This list does not include any "grocery store" brands if you will, they would be considered about Fourth Grade, and not really worth buying. Hopefully you can find samples of whatever foods you would like to try, and good luck! :D

Frist Grade Cat Food:
Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul - Adult, Kitten
Evolve - Kitten, Maintenance
Felidae
Holistic Blend
Natural Balance
Newman's Own Organics - Cat/Kitten
Pinnacle
Solid Gold
Wellness
Innova
California Natural
TimberWolf Organics - Serengeti Herbal
Blue

Second Grade Cat Food:
Nature's Recipe - Adult
Sensible Choice
Lick Your Chops
Natures Variety

Third Grade Cat Food:
Annamaet
Artemis
Breeders Choice - Avo-Derm
Azmira
Bil - Jac
Diamond
Eagle Pack
Excel
Flint River Ranch
Hi-Tor
Natural Life - Adult, Kitten
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
PetGuard
Precise
Premium Edge
Prism
Pro Pac
Pro Plan
Professional
Purina ONE
Royal Canin
Triumph
VeRUS
Wysong - Uretic, Vitality
Authority
Maxximum Nutrition

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions on cat food. :) One that I was thinking of was the Kirkland brand from the Costco store. That's what we feed the dogs, and it was recommended by our vet. :) It would be easy to get, since my mom could just grab a bag when she goes to get the dog food. :) My parents just hate to spend more money than they have to, and the foods u listed the only places I can think I'd find them would be Petco, and my parents refuse to buy food from there because of the costs. :( :x :(

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm just going to make a comment about the Kirkland brand, as I have used it. My cats are now all over 15lbs, and it gave them smelly poop. Now, I don't think your cat has a weight problem, but mine were not near as obese before I switched to Kirkland (had them on Nutrience light before I think). I know that Kirkland is very low cost but it is also very low quality (for $13 a bag, what good stuff could be in there?). My vet recommended that I switch my cats to either a high quality dry food or high quality wet food due to their obesity. I think it's unusual that a vet would recommend it but maybe it is higher quality than most store brands? Unfortunately I have no idea about the ingredient list. Getting a good quality cat food may not be much of a concern for you due to Sally's age, but you may still want to price compare some of the foods on Angelzoo's list, just to see if you can get better quality for maybe just a little more. Also, you may want to ask your doctor why they recommend Kirkland; maybe it has some redeeming qualities that I am unaware of!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Abker,
Also keep in mind that a cat will eat MUCH LESS of a high-quality food than a cheap food. So, in fact, the prices almost seem to even out. Good food may be slightly more expensive than cheaper foods, but it really isn't that noticeable. I suggest that you do some thorough research and think of a mature way to present your findings to your parents. That way they will take you seriously and perhaps you can convince them to give your cat a better quality food. I think Sally deserves it!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Abker: I'm sad that your vet said that to you, personally, when a vet has recommended bad food products like that to me, they are fired. :D
No I'm not joking

The foods I listed above, some can be found in Petco and PetSmart.
Petco carries Natural Balance, and PetSmart carries BLUE, 2 of the best dry kibbles out there period.

And yes, most often you are not spending more money, as your cats will generally eat less, and typically have less health problems from being on good food, resulting in less vet bills.
In some cases you are even SAVING money by buying a better brand.
I can spend $16.99 for 3 months worth of a great food like Sold Gold, or spend about $30 for a 3 months supply of foods like Kirkland.

A lot of those foods, if not all of them you can buy online, otherwise check out the official websites for these products, they normally offer a store listing, or retail distributors which sell these cat foods, I'm sure there are lots of other petstores around you besides Petco, that you just didn't know existed yet :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Kirland brand dog food seemed to be doing well for our dogs, since we swiched thier coats are thicker and softer, and they seem to have more energy than before. :? That's why I thought it would be good for the cat.

And actually, Petco is the only pet store here that I will shop at. (There is one more, a pet shop, but they sell puppy mill puppies and I refuse to shop there)

I'll see what info I can dig up, and ask my parents about it, but I can't guarantee anything. :? They can be pretty hard headed sometimes.

Oh, and Happy Haloween everyone!!! :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just approach them in a serious, mature manner and I'm sure they will react well...I *hope* they will...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts