Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I had Stormy in our laps today petting her. She was being pretty affectionate and we were petting her and scratching her chin. We were also touching her back and noticing that it was twitching a lot. Her back twitches from time to time...vet told me it could be some type of nerve damage but usually it happens pretty infrequently, is not bad and there are no problems with her mobility.
Anyway, we noticed a strange smell coming from her. After that she jumped down and started to lick her anal/genital area a little. Justin also came up and smelled her as if something was unusual. My fiance said it smells like a hormone smell to him, like what deer secrete when they are in heat. I'm not sure what it smells like to me, I know I have smelled it before but I can't put my finger on it.
She was spayed a year and a half ago, so I wouldn't think it would be hormones, but who knows?
Any ideas on what this is and what I should do about it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay I flipped her over and lifted her tail to look at her anus, and a brown liquid came out. It doesn't smell like normal feces.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's most likely the scent glands they have right around their bum.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at her butt and everything looks normal...nothing sticking out or swollen.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The fluid is from the anal glands, a pair of scent glands located at about 8 and 4 o'clock around the anus, which are part of why poop smells so nice (to another cat!). Some cats will empty the glands in response to certain types of stimulation, which you apparently managed to find!

A normal-consistency stool will trigger the glands to empty onto its surface as it passes to the outside. Too-hard or too-soft stool can fail to trigger this process and the glands will fill up.

If it keeps happening, have the vet check it out. These glands can get impacted, and only the liquid portion would be able to come out. If the stuff gets dried up it can cause the gland to abscess. Definitely something to be avoided.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dr. Jean. I will keep an eye (er...nose) out for it. Now that I know what it is, there is no mistaking that smell! It was quite nasty and putrid. :shock:
Stormy's stools do tend to be on the hard side sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts