Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have two kittens tiny all white and gremlin calico. they are from the same litter and were born right before thanksgiving. tiny has this strange habit i was wondering if anyone knew about. he tries to feed off blankets and clothes. does anyone kow why he could be doing this.

thanks <<))

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My guess is that he was taken away from his mother too young. He will probably try to suck on your arm, your ear, anything that reminds him of his mother. Kittens should not leave mother and litter mates until 12 weeks, but the general public doesn't seem to know this.

In some cases, cats just grow up to be wool suckers. We just had a member whose cat had to have a lower GI series because he had actually ingested the material and was in danger of a blocked intestinal tract. Either way, please keep an eye on his behavior, and if he doesn't want to eat, you'll be aware of one possible reason. Keep him away from blankets and all fluffy things. Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes it sounds as if he was taken from his mum too early

we got our cat Patched when he was 8 weeks old from a pet shop (way too early to be taken from mum but this is what happens a lot) and he suckles on my bathrobe

just make sure he doesn't suckle on anything that sheds fibres, old t-shirts are good
my bathrobe is terry toweling but it doesn't shed
but if in doubt try to get him to suckle on a t-shirt

the only danger is ingesting fibres
some cats will always suckle, some will grow out of it
my mum had a cat who suckled all his life (hie was 18 when he died)

Though Patched doesn't do it as much now (he will be 1 year old in 2 weeks)

but it is quite common so don't worry
J

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took my kitty's a couple weeks earlier than I should have, but that's because the owner's were moving. One of them was fine, the other one I had to personally feed "kitten milk" from a little baby/kitty bottle I got at my vet...it was the cutest thing..haha...anyways, try doing that. Call your local vet, they should have something like that. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info i thought maybe that was the problem but my other kitten didnt do it, so i thought it was something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts