Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered whether there is any odor reducing litter available? With three cats my living room is starting to smell permanently of cat poo :(

Also, where do you all keep your litter trays? currently mine's in my living room. Perhaps that's not a good idea!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Living room = not a good idea to me....I don't think I could do that. Nor could I put it in the kitchen. Mine is in the bathroom and we have 2 doors going through the bathroom so we can always keep one closed.

I use Everclean, it's pretty pricey compared to some other ones but it really works!! My bf has a sensitive nose and hates the smell of scented litters and cat poo. Of all the ones I've used Everclean clumps hardest and kills the smell at the box.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
There's often a linkage between smelly cat poop and diet. That's been reported by many members. With my cats, there's a smell right after they do their business which quickly dissipates. Their litterboxes are in a closet. If I go there now and sniff, all I'm going to smell is the litter. :)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
We keep the litterbox in the bathroom... Shweat cat litter is probably the best on odor that I've ever encountered.

But Tim is right, there is a direct correlation in diet and poop stank!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My litterboxes are in my laundry room. The things that help me are to scoop it twice a day, you hardly notice the smell then!
Also, I bought this bag of rocks at petsmart. I don't remember what they really are called, but basically its a bag of rocks that absorb odor. They really do seem to work. When they start to stop absorbing odor, you boil them and then let them dry in the sun to rejuvenate them.

Jennifer

·
Registered
224 Posts
I keep our litters in the basement, although when I had my apartment they where in the bathroom..I scoop 2x's a day also, and I use scoop away with odor control and also sprinkle some baking soda in the litter...it seems to help the odor...I have been shopping around though for a new litter to use...So I am glad to see all the opinions coming up..That way I can try some new litters:)

Good post 2mainecoons :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Our litter box is in the kitchen, as our bathroom is currently torn apart and there's nowhere else to put it. :?

We use Feline Pine, and I haven't had many problems with serious stank, with the exception of when the girls neglect to cover their business. They try... they just don't always get it buried.

Three kitties + a single litter box of Feline Pine = decently non-odorific

Lisa

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have four cats and three boxes. One in the Dining room....which is more a pet room, because we don't have a dining room table. One in the computer room. One in the living room. I scoop my boxes twice every day. I use a combination of fresh step crystals and arm and hammer scoopable litter. I mix it myself. I think it is better than the blends they sell. I don't have any odor problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts