Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AARRGHHHH!

We are in the midst of a typical British summer over here. Which means its about 10 degrees C (50 F) out there. Which isnt too bad - certainly comfortable with a light jacket on.

In the office right now though its insanely hot. The cooling system has gone wrong so we have no air conditioning and we are being blasted with boiling hot air. Its 35 degrees C (95 degrees F) in here right now!!

Insane! Its been like this for about three days now. Apparently someone is looking into it but they cant make any promises as to when things will be fixed.

In the meantime ... can't someone just turn the darn heating off????!!!!!!

MELTING!!!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would just DIE!

I have serious temperature issues....serious

I will get beat red in the face and get very very crabby
very very crabby is just a nice way of saying what I really turn into when I get over heated.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Actually if the temp is unbearable you could make a complaint on health & safety grounds.
H&S law states the tempreature must be 'reasonable'. That wording is used because a freezer packer is going to have much cooler temps than an office.
If it is getting so hot its making you feel ill I would be tempted to make a complaint on those grounds. If their H&S is up to scratch they will soon act on it, as everyone probably knows H&S in the UK is getting crazy, but it can have its benefits if you play the game :)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Here in the US the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has power to enforce safety regulations at most workplaces. Doesn't Britain have a similar agency? It really is unsafe to work in 35 degrees C all day.
Are your bosses going to wait till someone passes out from heat exhaustion before they fix the air conditioning or open a darn window?

I have issues with high heat, too, Dawn. It's no fun. 8O

·
Registered
755 Posts
That is ridiculous. We have a suite in an office and the people next door control the temp and we complain when it reaches 80. I cannot imagine 95.

When I worked in the mall a few years back the AC went out and it was about 90 for a MONTH! And its not an office job, we had to be constantly moving and those mall shores have a million light!!!

I feel your pain.... :evil:

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I get physically ill when it's too warm. And cranky. Okay, crankiER. :?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well then you cant come and visit me :D our summer temps average 40C + and aircons are out to expensive to run . :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
That's why I don't visit family in Phoenix or Tucson except when it's winter there.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gunterkat said:
Here in the US the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has power to enforce safety regulations at most workplaces. Doesn't Britain have a similar agency? It really is unsafe to work in 35 degrees C all day.
Are your bosses going to wait till someone passes out from heat exhaustion before they fix the air conditioning or open a darn window?
In the UK there is a minimum temp law but not a maximum one unfortunately. So it could be 110F in here and it wouldn't be against the law.

Fans. That is what I need. Lots of desk fans.

By the way - the windows WERE open :lol:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I dunno if you guy missed my post or what. There is no max or min temp in the UK, I should know I'm a health & safety officer for the school I work in and spent a year gaining my NEBOSH H&S qualification.

The law states the temp must be reasonable.

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.
Guidence tries to give an explination of the legal wording:

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’
But that is only guidance on how to interpret H&S law in the UK, the legal wording is it must be reasonable.

As I said above, you have perfect grounds if the temp is making you feel ill, uncomfortable etc to make a complaint under H&S.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I see! I thought the 16C thing was the legal minimum temperature. Thats interesting.

If things don't improve on Monday, I think there will be a mass riot in the office let alone complaints! :lol:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
You can always wear a coat or sweater if it's too cool. But there is a limit to how you can deal with uncomfortable heat.

Let's look at this from a strictly economic, instead of a humanistic, point of view. :
Wouldn't the increased productivity gained from a comfortable work force more than pay for the expense of supplying adequate air conditioning?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I'd have a very hard time being productive! It must be miserable, and I hope things improve soon!

I have to chuckle though.........this sounds an aweful lot like our truck right now. The heater is stuck! It won't turn on, and the drivers side vents, along with the back seat vents, are blowing hot air! The passenger side vents are blowing cool air! 8O One of these days, before the warrenty runs out, and the summer heat and humidity really get here, I might just take it in to get fixed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
bah!

like carolsclan said, try workin during a real summer...

I must admit, over here its not quite 40+ everyday, but we do have weeks of 30+ weather.... (minimum over night temp)
Over the 3 months of summer probably 50 odd days are 35+

I guess it is all relative tho.... I know how hard it is to work in a room that is 38+ and it is NOT fun...

My brother works for a factory, ocasionally has to work in, I think 75 degrees C... OH&S has some regulation about 15min on 15min off tho... or something like that...

We are getting pritty close to first frost right now... It is so **** cold... and thats the thing... It doest get below 0 here, and during the day lows are like 10-16... So I cant really complain about the cold... But I still do!!!

edit: I just read this
We are in the midst of a typical British summer over here. Which means its about 10 degrees C (50 F) out there. Which isnt too bad - certainly comfortable with a light jacket on.
ARE YOU CRAZY lol, a light jacket? I have never worn so many layers in my life!!! lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last week it was very hot, nearly 100 degrees and my office was so cold from the central air conditioner I had to turn on a space heater!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts