Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... woke up this morning with a real bad tummy ache. I've since discovered I have the runs. After visiting the loo several times at home I managed to the 45 minute bus journey to work (but only just - was having real trouble on the journey and the pain in my tummy was unreal by the time I made it to the toilet this end) but I fear I may regret it. Thank goodness there is a toilet very close to my office!

I just hope its all calmed down by the time I need to ge thome tonight or I might be hunting around for a comfy place to sleep (with the mice for company - lovely). Probably in the toilet.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Oh god... I had the same issue for a day on holiday... not nice. If I was you I would have stayed home. You're obviously way too dedicated to your job :lol:

Hope you get better really soon.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
You poor thing, stomach troubles can be so unpleasant.

I don't know what kinds of medications you can get over the counter in Britain, but here you can get Imodium which will help tremendously. We also have Pepto Bismol, or Kaopectate. They work also, altho some times not as well.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll see what they got at the chemist at lunch time.

Do you think I ought to risk eating anything? I havent yet today. Its about 11am here.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I wouldn't eat anything right now. Maybe some crackers later if things have calmed down.

Don't forget lots of liquids, but avoid fruit juices and sugary drinks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definitely try to get hold of some loperamide (Imodium). You can get it in several forms (chewable tabs, tabs you don't need wather with, normal tabs etc).

Just be careful, as loperamide can take you a bit too far the other way, if you know what I mean.

Drink plenty of plain (not fizzy) water for the time being, and see if you can get hold of some electrolyte replacement (e.g. Diarolyte) it tastes really nasty, but it's good for you if you have been losing a lot of fluids.

Feel better soon!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Off to the chemist soon. I feel completely wiped out!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huge said:
GO HOME YOU MAD WOMAN!

ahem... I mean, wouldn't it be best if you went home?
:lol: I darent go home. Its a good 45 minute bus journey and I might not make it, if you see what I mean! 8O

·
Registered
533 Posts
I hate when that happens!! I teach kindergarten - and there's NO EASY WAY to excuse yourself when you HAVE to get to a restroom!!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
No she doesn't.... Those are so full of crap that she'll lose more water. She won't become iller if she doesn't get those electrolytes, but she will if she loses more water.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Water wont replinsh the other stuff she looses. If she switches between Water, sports drink (even a water with electolights we have one called Smart Water) and one or two giner als she should be good. She does need some food but something bland and easy such as chicken soup.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
One of the best things I found to help me in this situation was plain ol' chicken broth with some saltine crackers. Electrolyte replacement IS very important but I'm not so sure sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade actually contain enough. You'll get nearly a day's worth of your sodium RDA (reccommended daily allowance) out of chicken broth and saltines but the sodium replacement will help "bind up" your system (excuse the mental pictures :oops: ) and keep you from feeling other ill effects caused by low sodium, such as confusion, dizziness, muscle twitching, lethargy (feeling lazy or sluggish) and nausea. Also remember to keep drinking water to flush out the bloated feeling caused by high sodium.

Hope you feel better soon. I'm not so sure I would've even attempted going to work if I were you.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still at work but hoping to feel safe enough to go home soon!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts