Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missy cat hates hates hates to be brushed. The problem is, she is a long-fur cat and really NEEDS to be brushed. I now own three brushes and a comb. She hates all of them. She immediately hisses and scratches at me as soon as I start brushing her. HELP!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Sounds like my Cleo. HATES it. So I just do a little bit at a time. Her ruff one day, one side another day, etc. Fortunately she doesn't matt, but I sure do get a lot of hair off her.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow it looks like all of your cats are long-haired! you must do a lot of brushing! :) thanks for the advice. at this rate I may get to brush her whole body by the end of the year...hahahaha

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
I always started off doing the cheeks and the top of the head, the same places kitty likes to be scratched.
I made our grooming session a time of fun and bonding, but even then she didn't like her britches combed, If I pulled her hair she would swat me hiss and run off.
I'd call her back and tell her I was sorry I'd hurt her.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I've always found a comb to do the best job of grooming longhaired cats, one of those good chrome steel combs that have finer teeth on one side of it and wider-spaced teeth on the other side. Since she's got in her mind that she doesn't like being groomed, you'll only be able to do a little at a time, as Marie has already suggested. I suggest taking a tiny bit of butter and smear it on her toes....while she is distracted licking it off, start at the back of the head and ears, and gently comb in short upward strokes. This imitates a momcat licking her kitten. Watch her carefully and only continue until she looks like she may object. Then tell her "good girl!" and give her a couple of treats. That's the end of the grooming session. The next day continue in this fashion starting at the head and working back a little at a time. You may have to ignore any bad mats until she is comfortable with gentle grooming. It's possible she may have such a bad attitude toward grooming that it would be better to have a professional groomer shave her, so that you really can start over. Longhaired cats should be groomed every day.....that way mats never get a chance to form. For you owners of longhaired kitties, of course, it's best to start to groom longhaired kittens from the time they are about 10-12 weeks old. Even if the kitten coat doesn't really need it as there are no mats, it is good training for kitty when it does grow up and does have its full adult coat. Then it is used to being groomed, enjoys it, and usually demands it every day.

One of my show girls loved being groomed so much that every time I went into the bathroom she'd jump up and strut on the counter top and meow until I got out the comb and would stand perfectly still to be groomed. And she wouldn't jump down, unless I used a "finishing spray" on her like I did when I prepared her for showing. Then she would jump down and strut around the house like a diva! If done properly and gently, grooming is a great bonding experience and a source of pleasure for cats and owners. Hope you're able to get Missy to look forward to her grooming session. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
I would just hold the comb and Samantha would pass her head under it, as I combed her I'd tell her how pretty she was and after I'd combed her I'd give her treats and get out the feathered teaser.
I kept a comb on my night stand and on the table next to my chair in the living room.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
When I brush Paizly, I have to show it to her, let her sniff it, and when she 'marks' it (rubs her cheek against it), only then do I start brushing. If I just start right away, she gets scared and runs away.
I also have to do only a bit at a time. Head one day, neck area the other day, back, tail end, etc. When I'm done, I leave it bristle side up and she will rub against it for a few minutes, and then go back to sleeping.
When I try to brush more than one section at a time she gets anxious about it and bites at me... or the brush - I'm really not sure which! LOL

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm so lucky... our three cats LOVE to be brushed. Treize sometimes goes to his brush and meows in front of it to tell us that he wants to be brushed! ;)

The only advice I could give you is what someone else said: show the brush to your cat and wait for her to come and rub against it before starting. Also, starting with the head and chin is a good idea as they usually like it better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've only had short or medium hair and they all loved the slicker brush. Even when I got married and my wife had a 10 year old cat, she loved the slicker the first time, even nuzzles it on the ground.

But, I don't know that it would be even close to the same with a long hair

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I am so surprised... I really thought it must feel good to a cat to be brushed...guess Missy is not the only one who hates it! haha! Thank you all for the advice about starting with the head and going slow. I will also let her see/sniff the brush first but chances are as soon as she sees it she will hiss and run away. Haha. Maybe I will leave it out on the floor for her or something.
catloverami - thank you so much for the very detailed post and great advice!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Surprisingly, Midnight, the wild cat who runs with the foxes, likes to be brushed. He lays on his side on the rug in the garage and I brush his back and side with long strokes. He then "flips" to the other side for the same thing. All the time he is purring loudly! In the Spring, huge amounts of his "Winter Coat" comes out. :p

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Hard to believe a feral cat lets you brush him! You must have the right touch.

My experience with a long-haired cat is that even if you get them to accept you brushing them, there are going to be places on their body they won't let you touch, like their underarm areas (which are prone to matting, naturally), and the back of their hind legs. I used to brush Rookie every night, but she'd still end up with matts in those areas.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Evie and Mitzi aren't fans of being groomed. Luckily, they don't matt (anymore), but they moult like crazy. They both purr as though they enjoy it, but wriggle away and have the saddest faces. My OH has to distract and hold, whilst I brush. Then they get 'good girl treats'. It's troublesome because of the wriggling, but they don't bite or hiss etc, so it's not too bad.

·
Banned
605 Posts
My cat, Autumn used to l;ove being brushed with the Zoom Groom. If I had it in my hand, she would rase to me and lye down, ready to go.

I bought Mia a Zoom Groom thinking she would love it too. No way! She likes the slicker brush. Go figure. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts