Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I bought an Ann Taylor raw silk dress. I've always heard that all silk is washable, as long as you take the proper care. I'm used to washing satin and silk sweaters but this is the first raw silk thing I've owned. Well...after washing with a special silk detergent my dress looks terrible! The front looks darker, the fabric feels stiff and it's clearly shrunk -- the lining hangs a good 2 inches below the outer shell! I'm so sad :( Is this supposed to happen? Will it look better when it's dried??? I guess I should know soon...

I'm freaking out because this was no casual purchase. I rarely drop big $ on clothes, but I justified it by saying that's it's hotter than the devil's oven right now and I needed a dressy summer dress...

I know there are a lot of moms out there who know just about everything. Help! If it dries like this can I fix it??

:cry: poor dress, it looks so sad

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Did your dress lose a lot of color in the wash? You may be able to reshape it the fabric to the correct proportions (or block it, as they say with knitting) with a gentle steam iron on the low heat 'silk' setting, or even re-dampen the dress with a spray bottle of water to reshape, but I recommend this only if the color is stable and doesn't bleed too much....Air dry setting in the dryer (no heat) may also return the fabric to a softer feel...

Fran

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fran! I'll go try that. I don't know if it lost color or just shine. I read somewhere that white vinegar can help restore shine? I think I'll just focus on the shape for now though. I tried it on and I can still fit into it, it's just so much shorter now! I can't believe it. I should've taken it to the dry cleaners. I knew someone on here would have some good advice though :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
What did the tag say? You always should pay attention to the tag. If it says dry clean only it really means dry clean only. I worked in fashion for years and the reason alot of clothing gets ruined before it's time is because people don't pay attention to the tags.

·
Registered
878 Posts
MelissaC said:
What did the tag say? You always should pay attention to the tag. If it says dry clean only it really means dry clean only.
I have many clothes that say "dry clean only" and have never in my life been to a dry cleaners. If they are delicate, I wash by hand and dry (hanging or flat), and some "dry clean only" things I even wash in cold then hang to dry.

Which is what I would recommend for the dress, wash it in cold by hand, lay it flat to dry, then iron with a warm iron and a tea towel (place tea towel between iron and dress to prevent "shiny spots").

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No tag. Since a lot of clothes are manufactured here, they have these "consignment stores" which sell samples mostly, sometimes imperfects, or even overstocks. It's like impossible for me to fit into clothes found in local shops (too short -- they pinch me in the armpits and go above my pants -- not attractive). I always make great finds at these shops because they have western sizes and unlike at home where my size is common and I often can't find it, here, it's considered a leftover -- woo! The only downside is that sometimes they come with the snipped label (an imperfect) or somewhat incomplete. This dress was a sample, it only had the Ann Taylor label, but no care tag. I should've been safe over sorry! URGH

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ah that sucks about the tag. Did you wash it in hot water? I've stopped washing in hot water a long time ago because I find it shrings everything. Is there anyway you can take it back?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only have cold water hooked up to my machine. No way I could take it back. I think I got a handwritten receipt I tossed and the place is cash only. Oh well, if the ironing doesn't help, I'll just have to chalk it up to experience...I'm going with a friend who wants me to take her on Wednesday. I won't find the same dress again, but maybe I'll find another treasure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts