Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a small fenced townhouse backyard, and over the last year or so I take Murphy out there and let him run around and chomp on grass. He loves being out there. I've actually created a monster, because now he'll meow at the top of his lungs to go out, and I of course oblige.

Maybe 1 out of 5 times he has been out there, he throws up within 10 hours or so. I've read many accounts of how cats eat grass in order to throw up, like it's a therapeutic thing to get rid of hairballs. They even sell cat grass at pet stores, so apparently it's considered tolerable for their diets even if they throw up. Do you agree that it's not harmful to eat grass, even if they do throw up from it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As long as there is not fertilizer or insecticide on it, it should be OK to eat. My former cat, Sophie, used to go outside and eat grass and then throw it up. I thought it was kind of gross. She didn't seem to eat it if her stomach wasn't irritated.

I'm not planning on letting my cats out, and not sure if I should give them kitty grass either. I'd rather not have green stains on the carpet.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It's normal for cats to eat grass occasionally, some will nibble at house plants if grass isn't available. It's also normal for them to throw up afterwards, as it's a way to get rid of hair in the stomach. My cats are indoor, but my boy likes to nibble on a Draecena Marginata plant and a Parlour Palm. I used to have a Spider plant was was a favourite to nibble.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Catloverami, your mention of dracena reminds me that last year, I posted here to ask if anyone knew the name of a plant my husband had brought home from work so I could figure out if was poisonous to cats or not. Sure enough, the answer was dracena. Is it tall, almost like corn, with long skinny leaves? That might be the same dracena I saw on the list of plants that are poisonous to cats.

ASPCA | Dracaena

1 - 6 of 6 Posts