Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this old chair that is very comfortable and small that I used to have in our bedroom. We had done some decorating in the bedroom and the chair got moved temporary to the living room. I was going to toss it, but the cats are always playing & scratching it and I’m afraid that if I toss it they will start tearing up my expensive leather reclining couches. They really attack this chair and sometimes flipping the cushion completely off. It’s looking real shabby and I’m embarrassed when people come over. Plus I’m getting tired of explaining the chair every time someone new comes in. I’ve bought 3 cat trees with plenty of scratching surface, but they prefer the chair. They now have the stuffing coming out off the cushion. And to top it off, my 5 yr old grandson now uses it to play video games on. He can easily move it around because of its light weight & size.

I’m thinking of having the chair reupholstered in order to save the couches and I’m wondering if there is something I could use so the cats could still attack it, but not destroy it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would just keep the scratcher, er, chair for them to play on. If family comes over, just leave the chair out - they will understand. Or, for family, just use a throw cover that you can tuck in while they are there. For non family member visits, since it is so light, just remove it and tuck it away in a closet and bring it out when non-understanding company leaves. Instead of reupholstering the chair, maybe find an inexpensive chair cover that you can put on it that the cat's won't destroy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just keep the scratcher, er, chair for them to play on. If family comes over, just leave the chair out - they will understand. Or, for family, just use a throw cover that you can tuck in while they are there. For non family member visits, since it is so light, just remove it and tuck it away in a closet and bring it out when non-understanding company leaves. Instead of reupholstering the chair, maybe find an inexpensive chair cover that you can put on it that the cat's won't destroy.
Um, I guess I could make a cover and put it on when company is over. The cats all hide when anybody comes over anyway. I actually enjoy sitting in it myself. They weren't expensive chairs and I originally bought two of them although I don't know what ever happened to the other one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I feel your pain but alas my fur babies always win in the end. I couldn't wait for my indoors only bloodhound to be trained well enough so I would no longer need the giant metal crate sitting in my family room. Well that was eight years ago and the crates still there. Yes we trained her but turns out she loves her crate so much, she opens the door with her nose and goes right in to take naps on her own. It was like it was her "happy place". No matter what you throw over it or how fancy a pillow you put in it, it's still one huge eyesore!
I also have a litterbox box in my dining room ( and I can assure you that was not my plan, but my finicky littles Persians idea. )
What's a fur baby owner to do................? Well when people come over I simply say,
"sorry guys, but I got animals!"

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel your pain but alas my fur babies always win in the end. I couldn't wait for my indoors only bloodhound to be trained well enough so I would no longer need the giant metal crate sitting in my family room. Well that was eight years ago and the crates still there. Yes we trained her but turns out she loves her crate so much, she opens the door with her nose and goes right in to take naps on her own. It was like it was her "happy place". No matter what you throw over it or how fancy a pillow you put in it, it's still one huge eyesore!...............
My daughter has one of those crates for her dogs and I’m always appalled every time I go over there, but the dogs seem to love it. She put a board on top with a table cloth and uses it as a large corner table. She keeps them in the house because they broke down the fence once and she was fined $400 and forced to reinforce the fence. She now only lets them out in the back to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would keep the chair.

We have a chair that we call Tina's chair. No one else sits on it except her. We have to tell our guests NO or they'll get a fur covered butt even though we change the cover on it daily.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep the chair.

We have a chair that we call Tina's chair. No one else sits on it except her. We have to tell our guests NO or they'll get a fur covered butt even though we change the cover on it daily.
Thanks, I was just looking at it and the worst of the damage is on the front of the cushion where they sand on the floor and drag there claws over it. It occurred to me that I should try to find a cheap bath rug about the same color as the chair and lay it over the cushion.
I’ll probably have to attach it to the back somehow, because they will pull it off. I have a throw rug in front of my entrance door that they love to roll it back over them and stalk the other cats as they walk past.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think I want a removable denim slip cover for my living room chair and couch. I have kids and cats so it is pointless to try having anything fancy. I bought this living room suite 8 yrs ago and I would love to have a new one but this one has held up well, beige microfiber. It took me about 5 years of shampooing the seat cushions, to find the hidden zippers. Now I just take them off and machine wash them. The cats don't scratch them, but they do scratch on a computer chair we have that is sort of a blue tweed like material. We got it when my husband's office was remodeled so I don't worry too much about it. Might eventually recover it in some cat print fabric if I ever get a cat room. I'm afraid they won't like it then.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I want a removable denim slip cover for my living room chair and couch. I have kids and cats so it is pointless to try having anything fancy. I bought this living room suite 8 yrs ago and I would love to have a new one but this one has held up well, beige microfiber. It took me about 5 years of shampooing the seat cushions, to find the hidden zippers. Now I just take them off and machine wash them. The cats don't scratch them, but they do scratch on a computer chair we have that is sort of a blue tweed like material. We got it when my husband's office was remodeled so I don't worry too much about it. Might eventually recover it in some cat print fabric if I ever get a cat room. I'm afraid they won't like it then.
We tried to making covers for our leather furniture, but since they are recliners the covers keep coming off. I just don’t know what I was thinking buying leather with cat. I thought it would be easy wipe up and never thought about claws tearing into them

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a big old fluffy chair that belonged to my grandmother. She bought it a little over 30 yrs ago. Her cat did very minor damage that I only knew about because I watched her put her claws in and then look at me with a sparkle in her eye as she scratched it. LOL It was one of those scratches that unless ya knew it to be there it wasn't noticeable.

Then comes my Gabriel who decided it was good as a scratching post. I tried to deter him, but was unsuccessful. Zoe didn't scratch any furniture ever until Gabe died and I think she felt like she had to carry on his legacy. LOL The darn thing is all ripped to pieces on one corner and falling apart on another.

Pedro & Apple love it to sit on because it's wonderfully fluffy, but have never scratched it. It's an odd shape and oversized so I haven't found a cover that properly fits it so it sits all falling apart and scratched to bits.

It looks like crap, but my friends & family know where it came from and that I have kitties. They don't care. Anyone knew I tell them the chair belongs to the kitties and they just smile & nod. lol Thankfully I manage to gravitate to people who also are owned by kitties & doggies so they don't give it a second thought. :)

If it's a useful chair (and from your description it seems so!) I say keep it and anyone who doesn't like it well too bad.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We tried to making covers for our leather furniture, but since they are recliners the covers keep coming off. I just don’t know what I was thinking buying leather with cat. I thought it would be easy wipe up and never thought about claws tearing into them

This is exactly why I'm refraining from buying a leather set. My husband really wants one. I figure if I'm just going to get another fabric set, and mine is still in good shape, I just want a change, might as well try covering them. Mine don't recline though. My taste is very casual and informal anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Builder it makes me think of the chair in the tv show Frasier.
His dads old recliner midst all the beautiful ultra modern furniture in the house.

This is a wicker chair that use to be in my sisters studio. I stayed
with my sister for a few months while I was doing a remodel
near by. My cat, Mittens, proceeded to dismantle with his teeth
(hes declawed) Piece by piece her chair. Then my
foster cats jumped in and helped with the project.
Luckily my sister has a sense of humor.
Its one of my favorite pictures!

Left to right.
Toby ~ former feral cat, we nicknamed him my faux feral.
Sally shy foster cat (now adopted)
Otis former foster, best buddy of Toby and heart kitty of my
sister, he resides at the rainbow bridge waiting for us.

Builder you have to keep the chair. Everyone who is serious about
their cats have one of those chairs or other items in their
home that are unexplainable to people who dont love animals!!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a big old fluffy chair that belonged to my grandmother. She bought it a little over 30 yrs ago. Her cat did very minor damage that I only knew about because I watched her put her claws in and then look at me with a sparkle in her eye as she scratched it. LOL It was one of those scratches that unless ya knew it to be there it wasn't noticeable.

Then comes my Gabriel who decided it was good as a scratching post. I tried to deter him, but was unsuccessful. Zoe didn't scratch any furniture ever until Gabe died and I think she felt like she had to carry on his legacy. LOL .........
That is just too funny :D

This is exactly why I'm refraining from buying a leather set. My husband really wants one. I figure if I'm just going to get another fabric set, and mine is still in good shape, I just want a change, might as well try covering them. Mine don't recline though. My taste is very casual and informal anyway.
I have to say don't even if your cats don't scratch. As long as they have claws, just jumping up on it causes little holes. I spent over $2k for my couches and it just makes me sick every time I see those little holes. We now keep blankets on the the arms for when they jump up, but it's really a pain to be constantly picking up the blankets.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a wicker chair that use to be in my sisters studio. I stayed
with my sister for a few months while I was doing a remodel
near by. My cat, Mittens, proceeded to dismantle with his teeth
(hes declawed) Piece by piece her chair. Then my
foster cats jumped in and helped with the project.
Luckily my sister has a sense of humor.
Its one of my favorite pictures!

Left to right.
Toby ~ former feral cat, we nicknamed him my faux feral.
Sally shy foster cat (now adopted)
Otis former foster, best buddy of Toby and heart kitty of my
sister, he resides at the rainbow bridge waiting for us.

Builder you have to keep the chair. Everyone who is serious about
their cats have one of those chairs or other items in their
home that are unexplainable to people who dont love animals!!!!
Aw yes I know someone with a wicker chair just like that LOL

My sister had her cats declawed and I've even thought about it, but someone told me it was illegal around here. I haven't checked on it though

·
Registered
211 Posts
Declawing is totally cruel and painful for cats.

Also, while it might ""solve" some problems with scratching, it will create other issues. Most declawed cats tend to bite more since they can no longer 'defend' themselves with claws. Their paws become super sensitive, too, since they lost a whole toe (the cat's claw retracts into the cat's toe bone, and during declawing the whole toe is just hacked off). The sensitivity can often result in cats feeling pain in the litter box and refusing to use it.

I dont mean to get on a soapbox but if you've been considering declawing your cat, I'd seriously reconsider.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Declawing is totally cruel and painful for cats.

Also, while it might ""solve" some problems with scratching, it will create other issues. Most declawed cats tend to bite more since they can no longer 'defend' themselves with claws. Their paws become super sensitive, too, since they lost a whole toe (the cat's claw retracts into the cat's toe bone, and during declawing the whole toe is just hacked off). The sensitivity can often result in cats feeling pain in the litter box and refusing to use it.

I dont mean to get on a soapbox but if you've been considering declawing your cat, I'd seriously reconsider.
We would never do it especially with 5 cats, but sometimes when I see the rips in the drapes and furniture, I want to.
We have a bath off of the master bedroom without a door and I hung curtains in the doorway. Then the cats started playing Tarzan with them. They would run, jump and swing on the curtains while another cat would try to catch them. They were having a great time, but I eventually had to toss the drapes because the cats reduced it to threads. I replaced it with a rope and they didn’t care much for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah I can totally see how it'd be frustrating finding rips in furniture! I'm glad you wouldn't go through with declawing though :)

Have you ever tried those silicone nail caps they sell for cats? I've heard really good things about those

1 - 20 of 21 Posts