Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what has happened to the pictures and albums that were posted on "meet my kitty" prior to having to use photo bucket? I had quite a few pictures posted of my cats, and since I don't use photo bucket, I was wondering how I could go about posting recent pictures of them.
Are we going to be able to have access to the photos that we have previously posted? Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jacquie, aka: cat1963.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww thanks Jeanie.
I miss being on here as much too. I have been very very busy looking after
my disabled husband, and teaching income tax courses.
Is there any way to find out if my photo albums were lost? If so, how? If they weren't lost, can I access them somehow?
Thanks again,

Jacquie. aka Cat1963

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Yung is going to have to answer this...us Mods have no idea.

·
Banned
194 Posts
They're still somewhere; the question is whether they're accessible. If Yung didn't transfer them to his host, then they're still on the former host's servers. You guys might have some luck contacting the former owner/administrator and see if they can be made available for awhile to the members that want to download them. There might be fees involved if backups need to be restored.

So, they're probably not lost (as in the sense of gone forever); most likely they're lost (in the sense you don't know where they are and can't get at them)

ETA - this new owner/administrator purchased the forum, right? No doubt that means all content. And if the images that are "lost" were part of the forum before it was sold, then ownership of those images now belongs to the new owner. If he doesn't have them in his possession, then by all means he should get them before the previous owner lets his hosting contract expire.

·
Registered
991 Posts
They deleted the CatForum up-loader and I lost loads of my great pictures... This upsets me really as I had a lot of important photo's there. I'll probably get a warning for saying that but w/e >.>

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
The administraror's COMPANY bought the forum. And I lost my pictures, as did other mods and members. We're all hoping he can locate them. He's the man to address. There's a special forum for that. http://www.catforum.com/forum/68-feedback-comments-suggestions/133767-poll-suggestions.html

Or send him a PM. We're hoping they can be found. If you're getting a warning, I guess I will too. I think we've have our fill of negativity. No one is doing anything but trying to make a smooth transition. That doesn't always work perfectly. :(

The administrator is the expert in these matters, and the only person who might be able to help. If Catman can help him, I'm sure he will. They are the good guys. They don't want to sabotage the forum. That wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wish someone would address the issue of how we were continually told that it would someday be restored and I for one believe that was never the intention in the first place. The mods were misled into misleading the membership. I lost a lot of photos there, too that I do not have anywhere else.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I wish someone would address the issue of how we were continually told that it would someday be restored and I for one believe that was never the intention in the first place. The mods were misled into misleading the membership. I lost a lot of photos there, too that I do not have anywhere else.
Well, I know how much intense work goes into developing a web site, so if you say it disappeared during an upgrade, I'm guessing he had a problem converting the gallery database. And apparently it wasn't too long after the site was sold, right? Well, there's not a whole lot of motivation to do all that work if you can make the sale without. So, perhaps the intent was good, but the motivation and opportunity were lacking.

Those images are still around SOMEWHERE .... no doubt Yung either knows or can find out.

Reading VerticalScope's resume, they appear to be VERY capable web site operators. If anybody can get you those pictures back, Yung and his people should be able to.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
The gallery disappeared about a year ago, during an upgrade in phpBB, not vBulletin. I just looked for an old picture of my Pixie from 7 years ago, and it's still there....in the post, but I didn't look for my other pictures. I have them in my computer, so they can be replaced. I never posted new pictures when we started using Photobucket instead of the gallery. :(

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
The phpBB upgrade was done is Sept 2008, at the time it turned out that the gallery software was not compatible with the new version of phpBB and Dan was waiting for the gallery company to do some updates. No idea what happened...whether they never made it compatible or if Dan just never implemented the updates. The pictures are still linked to the forum because I just searched for some old pictures of Holly that were loaded to the gallery and the photos are in the threads. So they should be accessible to Yung.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
and Dan was waiting for the gallery company to do some updates. No idea what happened...whether they never made it compatible or if Dan just never implemented the updates
Hmmm...Dan didn't share that information with all of the mods. :( We just kept asking, and got no answers. We knew he was a busy man, and I am still very fond of him after all of these years, but we waited a long time for answers.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
Good point. They had to be uploaded from people's computers, so they should still be on hard drives. I have lots of Cinderella pictures that were lost to two dead computers. The fact that they were also lost to the old Cat Forum gallery isn't really something I can blame on anyone else but myself. And my cold, dead computers.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Ugh, that stinks, Marie. I always fear of that happening so I have a little external hard drive that backs up my main hard drive usually on a daily basis so if my computer fails, I still have all my pics on my external drive.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
For the people who lost pics...The pics that were posted in threads still appear in those threads. So if you really, really want them....search for your posts prior to sept 21 2008 and go look for them. They might not be full sized because the forum gallery auto resized, but at least you'll have the photo. Right click on it and save.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am so sorry for opening up such a can of worms. I was just curious as to what may or may not have happened to the pictures. Please people, let us all try to work together to try to find our photos, rather than going at each other about something that we have no control over.
Thanks,

Cat. aka Jacquie.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
Don't feel bad, Jacquie, it happens every time the subject comes up.

So what does it mean when I get the box and the red x?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts