Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Essie (our stray who came to stay) has never put up with any guff. She has zero tolerance for anyone trying to do anything to her.
So, with her broken leg and external fixator she has had to be given medicine (I insisted on liquid medicine, as pills are impossible with her). She can't be allowed to jump so she has been kept in a small empty room these past 4 weeks and she is FED UP!
If she can get a claw loose during bandage changes at the vet twice a week, she has let gotten the vet tech a few times (and I don't think she was sorry:)). Now they say she has an eye infection and we need to put ointment in her eyes 3 or 4 times a day for a week.
My husband tried talking really nice, sitting down beside her, holding her and then just putting the ointment on his finger and rubbing it on the outside of her eye (hoping some would get to the conjunctival tissue). I have been wrapping her in a towel, as tightly as I can, and holding her head still so I can get the ointment into the eye. She has gotten a leg loose a few times and scratched me.
Is there a better way? Help! We are only at day 2:smiles

·
Registered
166 Posts
the blanket is one of the best ways but for better protection you may want to use some sort of arm guard

These are light "fencing" arm guards similiar to the ones I have....I work with alot of feral and bats for the NM and find these are the best.

Of course...you could probably make your own out of some sponge and covering for alot cheaper and keep them handy for any future use where the arm needs protecting.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
One of the posters on the forum (Heidi) had some advice for me when I needed to put ointment in Monty's eye..it would always end up in a full blown battle with the ointment carefully distributed in my hair ...

Do it when she's asleep. Sneak up on her, open her eye, squeeze it in and walk away quickly with a 'nothing to see here' gait..it really works. Monty would look around as if to say 'huh?' then continue snoozing :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do it when she's asleep. Sneak up on her, open her eye, squeeze it in and walk away quickly with a 'nothing to see here' gait..it really works. Monty would look around as if to say 'huh?' then continue snoozing :)
I will definitely try this. I had to work late tonight and my husband told me he did her eyes for me.....umm, I am looking at her and it looks like her cheeks are all greasy---so I am doubting if any of the medicine went into her eyes

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the blanket is one of the best ways but for better protection you may want to use some sort of arm guard
She seems to get my fingertips. I mean, she is aiming for what is causing her trouble-those fingers of mine that are trying to put something in her eyes

·
Registered
166 Posts
She seems to get my fingertips. I mean, she is aiming for what is causing her trouble-those fingers of mine that are trying to put something in her eyes
I will pair up the arm guards with golf gloves and sewing guards for the finger tips for some ferals I work with..some are quite nice to work in as the fingers up to the knuckles where cat scratch most are protected and the guards protect the tips which can be worn alone...you can wear them "just in case" while doing the "walk on by eye drop in" attempt for some extra precautionary protection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the vets today and asked them to show me how they do it.
The vet tech holds her firmly by the scruff of her neck and tilts her head back somewhat which (for whatever reason doesn't bother her and she stays still with her eyes wide open).
He then said to not bring the ointment tube around the side toward her face, but rather to approach from the back of her head and squeeze the ointment into the open eye.
He demonstrated and then had me try it.
Perfect.
No twisting, yowling, biting or scratching.
I couldn't believe how easy it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts