Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried about how my old baby is going to do while we are away on a trip for a week. He is 15 years old and very shy. Basically he runs any time someone comes to the house. He just wants his mom and pop. We are going to Hawaii for our 15th wedding anniversary, and our concern for him has us both so worried. Our neighbor is coming in the morning and evening. Another neighbor is coming in the afternoon. He does not have any teeth so we feed him canned food 3 to 4 times a day, since he can not eat dry food anymore. Both neighbors would spend time with him and give him affection, but I am thinking he will hide when they come. We are going to leave clothes on the bed that we have worn so he will have our scent to cuddle to. We have not gone away overnight in 10 years and with the exception of working, we are with him all the time. He is in good health, but I am so worried that the stress of us being gone and "strangers" coming will make him sick. Has anybody else had a concern such as this? How lonely do cats get when their loved ones are away? Help, right now we are thinking we are going to be in Hawaii and miserably worried about our "big boy".

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have any real advice except be sure and get phone numbers to call and check on him. That's the only way you'll be able to relax on vacation.

When I go I have a vet tech from my vet office cat sit. She does this on the side. It's nice to know she is able to deal with anything that comes up and, since we go away fairly often, the cats have gotten to know her. I find that since I trust her so well I can go away and worry a lot less.

Make sure and leave information about his habits and health issues and vet info just in case. Hopefully he'll just sleep most of the time. I'm sure he'll miss you. Some books I've read recommend visualizing what you are going to do and that you are coming back for the cat. That way they get an idea (if they can get that kind of communication) about how long you'll be gone and that you will return. Who knows maybe it works and it can't hurt!? :?

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful trip.

~Heather

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I was just away from my 15-year-old kitty for just over a week. I had a bunch of people visit him while I was gone. When I came back he was just fine, but my house was really stinky. You might want to ask your friends to open your windows while they're there and get some ventilation going. Like Artful Badger (I love that nickname!) suggested, get the phone numbers and check in from time to time.

Have a great vacation!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I will probably call everyday and check on him. I have already been talking to him, telling him that we will not leave him again after this. Hopefully he will pick up on my mental messages I will be sending him. As upset as we will be, we are going to try to be upbeat when we leave. I don't want him to pick up on any bad messages that could upset him more. Hopefully he will sleep a good bit, and I am going to tell my friends to leave him catnip each visit! Thanks for your responses, we all know how important our babies are to us and all the extra support helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would only have one person coming, but he is used to being fed at 3:00 when I get home from work. One friend is coming in the morning and then in the evening when she gets off of work. It is such a long time between visits and he is always hungry when I get home at 3:00. I was thinking that if he is fed at 3:00 while I am gone his routine won't be as disrupted and he won't be so hungry. I am going to try the herbs. Thanks so much for your input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts