Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried about how my old baby is going to do while we are away on a trip for a week. He is 15 years old and very shy. Basically he runs any time someone comes to the house. He just wants his mom and pop. We are going to Hawaii for our 15th wedding anniversary, and our concern for him has us both so worried. Our neighbor is coming in the morning and evening. Another neighbor is coming in the afternoon. He does not have any teeth so we feed him canned food 3 to 4 times a day, since he can not eat dry food anymore. Both neighbors would spend time with him and give him affection, but I am thinking he will hide when they come. We are going to leave clothes on the bed that we have worn so he will have our scent to cuddle to. We have not gone away overnight in 10 years and with the exception of working, we are with him all the time. He is in good health, but I am so worried that the stress of us being gone and "strangers" coming will make him sick. Has anybody else had a concern such as this? How lonely do cats get when their loved ones are away? Help, right now we are thinking we are going to be in Hawaii and miserably worried about our "big boy".

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Just make sure to have your neighbors put the food near the kitty and walk away so your cat can come out and eat it. Your cat kinda sounds like my cat Twinkie so he probably won't eat it until he gets really hungry. I wouldn't worry though b/c your cat will be looked after well and he'll be extra cuddly when you get back :wink:

Have fun on the trip too :!:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much guys, I am starting to feel a little bit better. I know we will still be worried about him but maybe not as much. Oh by the way his name is ET. And yes there is a story behind the giving of his name. It is believed that his mom died in kitten birth because a lady found him on her door step with the umbilicle (sp)cord still attached. She rushed him to the vet and they spent 2 months nursing him. He almost died twice but his will to live was strong. When he met us we was there with a little FL kitty who was wanting relief from her pain. I was in bad shape, needless to say. We got her as a stray and she spent her 2 months with us knowing she was loved. Any way, the nurse had called my husband out of the room while I was waiting on the vet. When I walked out I was crying and I looked down the hall and my husband was holding "something". I asked him what in the world was it, and he said a kitten. I said , My god I have never seen a kitten so Ugly! He handed him to me and they told me his story. Well, the little bugger rubbed my tears from my cheeks, and needless to say he adopted us. He had little stick legs, a swollen belly, head way bigger than the rest of him, except the stomach and no hair on his tail. He had the courage of 10 tom cats. When we got him home, my husband said he looked like ET. Well the name stuck. He grew up into a handsome solid black cat. So now I have to explain how he got his name. He is the love of our lives. He has helped me through so many hard times. He knows when I am sick or sad and he tries to make it better. Anyway, just had to tell the ET story. Thanks again. I am so glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Sassycat, that is a very touching story.
You guys seemed to find each other in a moment where you were both in need. How amazing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts