Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7-10 days ago my older cat stopped going into my bedroom or using the litter box in the bathroom. He stays in the living room, mostly close to a corner by the door where he has a "cubby-hole" underneath the clothes hanging in a small closet. He is eating and drinking normally, but he defecates by the door. I set up another litter box for him in the living room, which he uses apparently (I only put it out there 2-3 days ago).

I know the younger cat is very aggressive and chases him. For the two years I've had the younger cat, the older cat would put up with his bullying, usually hissing a lot and growling. That has all stopped. It feels like the younger cat is being territorial enough so that the older cat is afraid of going in the bedroom. In fact, the older cat loved to cuddle with me and have me brush his fur, on my bed. Now only the younger cat will jump on my bed and lie close to me.

It seems so unfair to the older cat (almost 11 years old) but I don't know what to do. I've consulted two books on the subject, to no avail.

I've had cats for about 15 years, and I've never had a situation like this before. The cats may have not always gotten along but one was never so bullied that he felt scared to go into the bedroom/bathroom.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
At 11 yrs. old your cat is elderly, and it could be that he he feeling weaker, perhaps an underlying health problem, and fears he can't defend himself any more, and is really fed up with the bullying.. Has he had recent health checkup? That's where I would start first. If he checks out OK and healthy, then I think it's just his age....he's tired of being bullied. Why don't you have special time out with your older cat? Take him in the bedroom with you when you have a nap or sleep for the night. So the younger one doesn't get jealous, spend special days with him. Are you playing with the younger cat? Siphon off some of his energy with a wand toy (basically a stick with feathers on the end of it) most pet stores carry them. Some cats will learn to retrieve a stuffed mousie like a dog. Both my cat do this, tho my older one in his 16th year now doesn't do it any longer for about 5 yrs. now, but my younger one at 5 yrs. does. And he sometimes bullies my older one, but they're mostly good cuddle buddies. If you're younger one is attacking a lot and visciously, I would keep them separated.....switch them around in different rooms. I agree with you and don't really think it's fair or kind for your older boy to have to put up with being beaten up constantly. Another solution may be to re-home your aggressive boy, to someone who wants one single cat in a home. Quite a few cats just don't get over bullying, either because of their early upbringing, personality or genetics. I hope these suggestions are helpful. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts