Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Male domestic long hair approx 15 years (he was a rescue) started loosing weight. He now weighs in at a little over 5 pounds and has lost 1 pound over 2 months. I took him to the vet and told her he seems to be hungry all of the time but not putting on any weight. She did a battery of blood tests with physical exam and found his thyroid values were off so she prescribed methimazole 5 mg per day. All other blood values were normal for an elderly cat. After 60 days of they with no change he was taken back to the vet and retested and found his values were on target. She suggested he might have lymphoma but not in the obvious places like liver, kidney that the precious blood tests would have revealed. She suggested watching his weight and behavior and see if it gets lower. And we might try a pain medication just ot see if he improves.
He is 15 so he is not real active however I got out the laser pointer and he played with it much like he did when he was young. He sleeps a lot but is always greeting me when I approach his food looking for petting and a refresh of his food (wet he likes to lick the juice but will eventually eat the solid parts) He has both dry and canned wet food supplemented with sardines and tuna) He will come to visit you as you sit and paws at you looking for petting. His hair is falling out and his long hair is now showing some matts which he appears to not groom as he used too. Matts are nickle size and there are about 6-8 or more of them on him.
With all of this is there anything that comes to mind from people who have been through this?
Any experience with this stuff? Sodium Dichloroacetate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting but how to get a cat to eat that much high quality protein seems the be the $100,000 question. In my case the car has access to both dry (Iams) and wet (9lives) supplemented with tuna or sardines, and I further wet the 9lives with more water so he can lick it up which he likes. I free feed him so he has access whenever he wants it and he eats many times through the day. I approached the vet about this protein drop as I noticed many of the foods seem to have low protein. When I was in college I remember values of 35-40% being more optimal. But then again if these levels are so high do we not risk stressing the kidneys?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts