Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13-year-old cat has lost maybe 1.5 lbs over the last year. Is there anything I can do about this or should I just accept that he's getting older?He used to weigh 11 and now it's around 9.5 lbs.

He's a finicky eater and lives mostly on (I'm ashamed to admit this) deli bought freshly shaved smoked turkey. I have been buying this for him for 6-7 years. He goes through 3/4 pound of turkey in 2 days. He will eat some dry and canned food, but he will get very very depressed if I do not have smoked turkey for him. (Please don't yell at me for this.)

Anyway do you think I should accept the weight loss? He's not bony or anything and shows no sign of slowing down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
eh honestly from the stuff i've read the trukey, even if it is smoked is probally way better then the dry or canned food, but you'd just have to make sure he's getting the other nutrients he needs. My 14+ year old has just lost alot of weight too, but its due to medical stuff. He is getting older, and due to that he probally has something wrong wiht him. I'd get him checked up by a vet. In the elderly (in general) looseing weight can be the first outward sign of something bad like cancer. I dont think The turkey is the problem since you've been giving him that much for the last 7 years!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he's due for his shots next month so I'll mention it to the vet and see what he says. Gosh, I hate it when they start to get old....I love this cat so much I just want him to live to be 20 !!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Smoked meats are bad for them. Just like children the nitrates could build up and hurt their liver/kidneys. I would switch his diiet and get some blood work done to test liver function

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's absolutely no way I can switch. He is heartbroken if there is no turkey in the house. I can't stand to see him that unhappy. Believe me I would have stopped long ago if I could have. I am spending $150 per month on this turkey.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well thats good to know bangels, i'll stick to the un-flavored stuff :)

3cats - ya think ya can ween him on to stuff thats not smoked? maybe flavor it with some catnip? or some gravey from canned food or something?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it. If I happen to bring home a batch of turkey that's not up to par he smells it and walks away unhappy. I literally will take it back and have them open a new one it means so much to him.

I don't think he has any kidney problems. I remember with the last cat I had through old age--his stomach starting making little audible digestive noises during the last couple of years. I took him to the vet to try and stop it and was met with no concern for the problem. That cat eventually died of kidney failure at age 15. He ate canned food during the last couple years probably because the dry was more diificult for him to digest or chew (although I had is teeth cleaned)or something.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree with trying to ween him off turkey. Humans are encouraged not to eat smoked food often as well. My cat started to lose weight due to hyperthryoidism. Hopefully its not the case and it is just something that comes with old age. Let your vet know you give him smoked turkey and see what she/him recommends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vet and I decided to give him vitamins. He just had his first one. I feel much better now because at least he's getting the nutrients he needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts