Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I have 2 older mixed breed cats. One cat is 10 and the other is 7, they are very spoiled (i blame my parents) and have been causing lots of problems.

The older of the 2 cats (meisha) is very persistant on getting food. She will wake my parents up constantly if they are not up early in the mornings to give her food (even though food is available to her most of the day).

Also she finds it necessary to keep them awake if they so much as get up and go to the bathroom at night.

All of this is wearing down on my moms temperment to the cats, she's losing sleep and over all she's really not enjoying the company that cats are supposed to provide.

Is there anything that i can do that will possibly teach meisha that her behavior is unexceptable?

*Side Note*
The litter box is in my parents bath room which is in their room, im not sure if this is all that important but i thought i would make it known that that is how meisha and georgina (the other cat) get into their room and therefore make it hard to not allow them into my parents room.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
melon_mayhem said:
Is there anything that i can do that will possibly teach meisha that her behavior is unexceptable?
No. The only things that can be done are to either completely ignore the cat or re-arrange things so the cat does not have access to waking people up. Because people have been getting up to appease this cat, her behavior is being rewarded. Our cats have dry food available in the kitchen overnight and their litterchest is in the office, whose door is always open. I do keep one small litterbox in the bedroom for any cats who sleep with us.

Our cats may sleep with us as long as they do not disturb sleep. If they do, they are closed out of the bedroom. I use a "white-noise machine" to cover any strange noises that could wake me (I'm a light sleeper) but it still allows me to hear things I need to hear and check out, like the phone, doorbell or crashes/thuds from kitties knocking something over. If the cats persist in pawing/meowing at the bedroom door, I drag the vacuum out and park it right there.

IF you have a cat who persists even further, you could unwind a bit of the cord under the bedroom door so it will reach a plug and have the vacuum switched "on". When the cat comes to the door, near the vacuum, and begins doing whatever it is doing, get up and plug in the cord...which will allow the vacuum to come on and scare the cat away from the door...and then pull the plug out of the socket to stop the vacuum.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ha, that vacuum idea is a neat one!

My suggestion would be to move the litter box to another area so the bedroom door can be kept closed. If there is carpet under the door, you may want to think about putting something solid underneath it for a while, such as cardboard, so that if the cats decide they want to try to dig their way in, they won't tear up the carpet in the process. (found this out the hard way). If they try to wake your parents up in the middle of the night, they should be completely ignored. Negative attention, such as yelling or pushing them off the bed, is still attention and it will encourage them to keep doing what they're doing.
They should stick to scheduled feeding times. Its a good idea to feed cats about an hour after you get up in the morning at the same time every day- that way they won't associate getting up with getting fed. They'll learn that they get fed only at certain times, so they'll stop begging for it at other times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heidi n Q said:
Our cats have dry food available in the kitchen overnight and their litterchest is in the office, whose door is always open.
I would do that but my cats are fat :lol: so i try to give them moderated food amountages. Also even when she had food over night meisha still would find it funny to wake people up at weird hours. I think that she's just evil :twisted:

The vacume idea may not be that bad, because meisha has no problem sitting outside the door and pounding on it with her paws (she's declawed) for hours on end and georgina will just yell her head off for about as long so maybe this will help because my mom is a very light sleeper as well.

I'll also tell my mom that ignoring her would be good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts