Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got a new 5 month kitten, and everything is going great with the other two adult cats that I have in the house.

The problem I am having is that the kitten has her little kitten food and the other two want to eat all her food, and refuse to touch their own food. I know that kittens are suppose to eat when they want to. What's the best way of separating her food from theirs. I have hers in another location.
Just thought I would see if anyone had a solution. I really don't want to close her off from the rest of the gang while I'm at work.
Thanks
Amy

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just feed her in a separate room and let her out when she is done.
Also feeding your other cats kitten food will not hurt them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The suggestions you've been given are good ones. I've used both of those. Another good trick is to get a cardboard box and cut a very small hole in it, just big enough for the kitten, and put the kitten food in there. Then, hopefully, your adult cats will be too big to get in!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Feeding separately is an option, but you could also sit with them while you feed them.

When our cat Phantom became diabetic, we had to make sure he ate his prescription food, while Phoebe Jean ate her regular food. The only way was to sit with them at feeding time, so we did that for 5 1/2 years!! We also had to make sure Phantom ate his food so he could get his insulin shot.

Literally though - if we turned our back for a few seconds, they were in each other's food!! Crazy cats. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would sit with them if I had time too, for sure!

The card board box didn't work. One of my older cats squeezed his huge body into the tiny hole, and ripped it to shreds! lol So took that Idea and used a cat carrier instead, works like a charm :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts