Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!
I have an older kittie (Abby!!) of about 14 years that seems to be drinking a lot of water and therefore peeing a lot for the last few months now. I thought at first it would go away...A little salt would help her hold water better...But why do you guys think she is drinking/peeing more now? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Diabetes?

Was the diagnosis diabetes? Don't be like me. I listened to my vet who had lots of other ideas on what my 13-year-old cat had when he had lost weight and was peeing and drinking more. I knew it was diabetes right away but the vet had to test for everything under the sun. Insist your vet test for diabetes first. Then get a human meter and strips to test your cat morning and night. My cat is on Lantus, which is very expensive, so I save money by using human meter and strips which are MUCH less costly than those made specifically for cats. If you read the meter properly, you will be OK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You must get her to the vet. This sounds like either diabetes or the start of kidney failure.
So both can be treated and it is good you noticed this change. Is your cat overweight? Does
she eat canned food for only dry? Good luck at the vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
If she's drinking a lot of water, she should be peeing a lot. I would never recommend giving extra salt to a cat, you're forcing her to retain water.

salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with everyone here and if your vet is saying there isn't much they can do for her then find a new vet or book an appointment and ask for blood work to be run and a urine sample to be taken. Increased thirst and urination is usually a sign of kidney problems or diabetes both of which can be managed! I just lost a kitty to kidney disease last year and she was the same age as your cat when she developed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If she's drinking a lot of water, she should be peeing a lot. I would never recommend giving extra salt to a cat, you're forcing her to retain water.
Yeah, adding salt is a true experiment. I monitor my cat accordingly. It's a little salt in the water, and I noticed a little difference in her drinking/peeing. I'm monitoring and see's doing OK now!! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
If her kidneys are starting to fail adding salt is one of the absolutely worst things you can do to her. Stop experimenting on your cat, take her to the vet, have blood work done and find out what the issue is so you can treat it properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts