Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here.

I've searched the interweb for answers to my dillemas. to no avail.

My roomate has an older cat. I love him I think he's awesome.

He was a rescue from the SPCA. He lived there for 8 months before my roomate brought him home. sad eh?

He's a neutered male. 12 years old. and declawed ARGH!!!!!

I just moved in about 3 months ago so I don't know his previous history so well.

Anyways, he just won't stop peeing on things. It's really odd.

We have 2 other cats that live here that are mostly outside. Lucky (the cat in mention) stays in always even though he has that option to go out..

we have 3 litter boxes that I clean everyday. Sometimes 2ce a day.

We use the crystal stuff mixed with pine cat litter.

We feed our cats Iams.

We have a lot of toys and cat beds and such for the cats to hang out in.

Lucky mostly hangs out with me in my room. Which I think is cute.

but about once a week I will find something peed on.

It's kinda not cool. I'm patient and I would never give him up for the world. He could pee on everything forever I'll still love him and keep him. It would just be reallly nice to have him stop doing it.

He used to poop everywhere too. But he's stopped that since the 3rd litter box was started.

He seems to pee on messy things.

Like when my roomates room is a mess he pees on her laundry pile

and he pees on my laundry too. Even though mine is in a hamper.

He's peed on things on my floor when my room was a mess once (i'm usually a neat freak)

Is he trying to tell us "HAy!!! Where i live is yuckay!! clean this up!!"

Also he seems to pee when his cat bowls are empty.

I'll come upon empty cat bowls...fill them up...and then I'll usually find something peed on @ that point.

Is he trying to say "Hay pay more attention to me. I'm old and surely!!"

*chuckle*

Any help would be really appreciated. I'd love to get him to stop.

The introduction of the 3rd litter box has cut down the peeing....but not stopped it....think I should maybe try a 4th or a 5th box?

Please help. thank you!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I really wish I could help all I really know on the subject is that some cats prefer to pee in one litter tray and poo in the other so maybe a 4th litter tray maybe a good Idea,

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Have you also taken the cat to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI? :lol:

p.s.-It's really sweet of you not to even think about giving up your cat even though they have been peeing all over...... I know not everyone thinks like that!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
cat peeing

My first guess is that he does not like the litter. His feet are likely to be chronically painful, so walking on those hard little balls and pellets could be quite uncomfortable. Try a soft, unscented, scoopable litter in one or more boxes and see if that doesn't help. He is probably quite arthritic at that age, especially being declawed. Start with just an inch of soft litter in one box, so he doesn't sink down in it and stress his hips and knees.

The suggestions given for adding a box and having him checked by your vet are also good ones. In older cats, while UTI is less likely, there are many other physical problems that can contribute to the behavior.

For other tips and suggestions, please see articles in our free library on litter box problems: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library .

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dr jean
that was very informative!

I think he is arthritic because his back hips seem to pain him a lot. Is there something we can get to help him with the pain?

I'll get to changing that litter ASAP.

We just switched over to it the last 2 months because his pee and poo are so stinky.

Poor kitty I had no idea that declawing could make him have more pain in the long run. I wanted to smack the person that declawed him. and they surrendered him to a shelter. I know violence isn't any way to solve things but I just don't understand how anyone could do something like that to a cat. They live by their claws! they use them for everything. I know how sad I would be if I lost my fingernails.

thank you for your help. We're taking him to the vet this month.

Kit Kat: I could never give up an animal just because it happens to minorly inconvenience me.
that's so rotten! I have in suite laundry. I can just wash what he pees on. No biggy. I clean all the time anyways. (I'm a neat freak) pee comes off things easy. It's just the smell. Have any odor neutralizing suggestions?

I love Lucky. He's staying. He's an old man. Who else will love him if not us.

please stop peeing lucky!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
old cat peeing

For the arthritis, you could try 250 mg glucosamine sulfate and 200 mg MSM daily in canned food. It takes several weeks to kick in, but the effect can be quite remarkable. Personally *I* wouldn't do without it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
shifuku, Have you tried a cleaner with enzymes to get rid of the urine odor? You can also get nilodor from the drugstore or an aerosol system from a pststore. You can also get a black light which will show you where the urine is. That will help to keep your cat away from those places.

I don't use Iams, but I understand that it causes a strong feces odor in some cats. If you change foods, make the change a very gradual one. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts