Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my eldest cat "5 years" over the past year has ALWAYS refused to use the litter box. I believe it mostly started when other cats really came into the house. I have 3 others. I have tried different litters ect and it just seems with all these other cats she refuses to use the litter box.

I dont know if its because she wants her own and wont poop in one that others have pooped in, or if shes afraid of closed lid litterboxes, but im at my LAST nerve on this and am about to the point of crying. She use to use the litterbox NO problem but nowadays she just simply refuses and poops in any place she deems hers.

I only have 2 litterboxes in the house, that all 4 of my cats alternate to, and use. They wont use any one litterbox, and I know if I try and get her, her own litterbox that the others will alternate to it also and she wont use it. It is getting very depressing for me AND my carpets......

·
Registered
580 Posts
How often do you scoop and where are the boxes? Like are they next to each other?

Honestly my first suggestion is 4 boxes for four cats and see how that works--scooping 1-2 times a day. Also be sure you have both covered and uncovered.

We have two boxes for two cats scooped once a day..

Leslie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main 2 are at least 15 feet apart on the other side of the room and are both closed, 3 out of 4 cats that I have all alternate between the 2.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
May I chime in, and suggest 5 litterboxes for 4 furries? Both covered and uncovered. And scooping all at least once a day.
I takes me less than two minutes to scoop Arianwen's two litterboxes. Five should only take less than ten minutes.

Also, a good soaking cleaning of the soiled areas with an enzyme-based cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, or similar. That will remove the bathroom "marker" scent that tells your cat it's okay to potty there. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts