Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oliver has just completed his first week of being on Diazepam. He takes 1/4 tablet twice a day. This is what I found on a website to explain what Diazepam is:

Diazepam is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Diazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety, seizures, and muscle spasms.

Diazepam is used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and tension associated with anxiety disorders. It is also used to treat certain types of seizure disorders and muscle spasms.
For those of you who know Oliver's history, I am happy to report that I have noticed a great change in his behavior. I almost feel guilty that is has affected his behavior this much. He is actually calm in the evenings. He does not attack Delia (my other cat) or me for that fact, everytime he wants. He has cut down his crazy behaviors, majorily!!

Does anyone else have their cats on this "kitty prozac"? My quesiton is, what happens when I leave for 4 days and leave the cats alone...he obviously wouldn't be getting his daily doses of meds. I am going to call my vet and see what the answer is to that but thought someone here might have their cat on the same thing...

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I don't know about anti-depressants in cats, but humans on such drugs have to take them religiously. Maybe it's different with cats, though...

You could find a good pet sitter to administer the meds when you're away :) My pet sitter will give meds and is actually much better at pilling cats than I am :lol:

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
For those who are wondering, diazepam is the generic name for Valium.

I'm really glad it's working for Oliver, Heather!! Valium is difficult to withdraw from though, so I hope you're able to find some way that he can continue to get his daily dose.

It should be noted that drugs don't work the same way in all cats as they work in humans. Sometimes they make the cat's behavior worse. So they're used with discretion, and many vets won't use them except when everything else has been tried.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would highly recommend finding a reliable person to administer the meds while you're gone. It's not a good idea to let them go off and then back on - esp when you're dealing with behavior problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts