Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
We are having the same issues with trouble locating a superb fish oil! Being in Canada, and having mulit-cat/multi-dog household - finding a cost effective and excellent product is hard!

Please keep us updated with what fish oil you end up using! :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I used one made by Ascenta, called Feline Omega3. It's a EPA & DHA fish oil supplement, made from fish oil (sardines and achovies), and has been independently tested and certified for quality, purity and label claims. It seems to meet all of the "specifications" discussed in the article.

Muzby, I don't know where in Canada you are located, but I buy it in a store in Toronto.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought some of the Nordic Naturals, it's the best kind I've found, and the kitties did the best on it. Yes, it is expensive, but in my situation, I have to use the best I can find.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Ah. Can you guys tell me do u feed the oil daily? How much do u feed at a time?

Also, can one include sardines (canned in water) in their diet instead?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Kind of a hard question to answer. I feel this site, peteducation, provides some pretty good info on the basics. Here is an article, from their site, about omega 3's and 6's Omega Fatty Acids: Sources, Effects &, Therapeutic Uses in Cats

Trying to figure out a ratio of omega 6:3 is pretty difficult, IMO ( I tried in a thread I started). I think most say just a few drops everyday or every other day. Some just do sardines once a week and call it good. I either do the sardines (though I can find raw sardines, canned is perfectly fine) or .3ml of salmon oil every other day or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts